Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have you seen this truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 468k5, Dec 1, 2004.

1. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

I was looking at some pics in the Nor Cal Big Dawgs photo gallery when I came across this truck. Do any of you know anything about the suspension? Is this a 1/4 or 3/4 eliptic setup? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    [​IMG]

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

bigger pic [​IMG]

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HOLY CRAP! I want to know too. I want to do that now! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

Thinking about trying it on my 74. Heres a site showing how to do it.They used a jeep but I think it woul be about the same setup. 1/4 eliptic

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It was a couple years ago that Greg used that in a post but we were making fun of it because of all the rear axle steer it has when articulated...

6. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I hate to say this... but...

Search around a bit on here for 1/4 elliptic. Its all over the place. He got some [censored] for it at the start. But, it is very impressive if you ask me.

Who cares if it has a little rear steer? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    It works.

8. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

It looks cool, but I'd rather have something less cool with all four wheels on the ground.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have more pictures of it somewhere. Hes a local guy to PA/NJ, that picture was taken at Paragon in PA.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Belongs to a guy named Josh.... located somewhere on the East Coast.

His buddy posted up some pics of the truck with some rather inflammatory bragging about "can your truck do this"?? type stuff. Everyone jumped all over his butt and kind of ripped the guy a new one, even though it wasn't his truck.

Eventually Josh came on CK5 to talk directly about the truck and he seemed like a nice enough guy. It's a 1/4 elliptic rear setup (I have a lot of pics of it in my personal stash) but it has massive amounts of rear axle steer and obviously has some "roll center" issues, as evidenced by that pic you posted from my gallery.

The lines I drew were to illustrate that the axle was basically FLAT on the ground, but the body was literally falling over due to the suspension setup. I haven't seen any recent pics to know if he's "dialed in" the suspension better or not. I liked that Josh was willing to just take a chance and build something different. I'm sure he learned a lot from the experience and can apply that insight into future builds.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    here's some other pic's I was looking at http://www.rocky-road.com/quarterelliptic.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Friend of mine has that kit on his Sami up in Shaver Lake, CA area. Haven't wheeled with him since the conversion, but the reports from those who have are good. Looking at those pics again, I think the undercarrige pics might be GAry's Sami as his is all OD green.