Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

haveing a little trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bandit, Apr 21, 2001.

1. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

Heyits not a blazer this time tis a 94 gmc l/d 2500 i have a 350 in it and lately it has been jsut sucking the gas like crazy and when ever i open the hood it just smells of gas and i see there tons of blow back in the air fliter and around the back of the intake any ideas on what the problem is i thought it was bad air system so i put a K&N on there but no go

AJ
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Need more information. How is the engine running in general? You might do a tune-up first to give you a reference point to start with. Also, check the timing. Do you ever see evidence of gas, like wetness on the intake manifold?

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The injectors may be clogged and not giving a good even spray pattern. You can check this visually with the truck running without the air cleaner on. Look down into the throttle body, under each injector should be a fine conical shape mist of fuel. Any dripping or variation from that and the injectors need cleaning.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

4. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i have a friend who's a mechanic and usually around 70,000 miles they have to reseal the intake sometimes, u could have the same problem, but i think this is on the 454's and not the 350's, but its worth a try. What are some other symptons and ill talk to my friend if necessary, if i was you i would take it to a dealer.

phill

5. northgate

northgate Registered Member

Is your check engine light illuminated as well? If it is that could provide some useful information to narow down the problem. Iy your'e actually smelling gas you may have a faulty injector, but it may also be a faulty sensor, such as the manifold absolute pressure sensor or the throttle position. In any event, you should probably take it to a qualified shop. What you'll spend to repair it is nothing compared to the amount you'll spend on gas and incur in wear on the engine and exhaust system.

6. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

MORE INFO HERE!!
    ok other things iv tired hooked it up to a mind reader ever thing cheacked out OK the egine has 120,000 on it the engine it self sounds fine nothing werid about about (expect the alternertor (sp) but thats another story) blows no smoke
    dont wnt to take it a dealer becouse the dealers in this town well i would think 2 about haveing them work on my pedel bike [​IMG]

AJ

7. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

What's going on with the alternator? Put a digital voltage meter on the battery with the engine running. If the voltage is less that 14+ volts, then your computer could be acting up due to low voltage. This causes the computer to run in the default "limp home" mode, which forces the engine to run rich. This could be your problem. Also, check your battery with the digital voltage meter before you start it in the morning. If the battery has a 100% full charge, it should read 12.6 volts. If it's less than that, post it and I'll look it up in my chart and tell you the condition of your battery. This could also contribute to the problem.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A really great way to see the injector patterns is to use a timing light. Connect the sensor to #1 plug wire, as normal. Then aim the light at the injectors and squeeze the trigger. The light will make the spray appear to freeze and you can see really well what the injectors are doing. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Harry, thats a great idea!!

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's something I learned by watching. [​IMG] But it makes sense, because the ECM gets it trigger to fire the injectors from the ignition module. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

11. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

tested the alternator it works fine its rpoblem is it ticks really loud sounds liek some taping a pin and the ticks get faster with RPMs anyway battery is fine too ill do the timeing light thing with injors tommorow

AJ