Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Haven't gone to sleep, waiting for the sun to come up to work on my k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Jun 1, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Haven\'t gone to sleep, waiting for the sun to come up to work on my k5

There must be something wrong with me, I complain about not wanting my Jimmy cuz it brakes, but I want to go work on it and drive it.

I don't want anything dangerous happening again like fuel leaking etc, so what should I replace before it goes out? Some of the vacuume lines look brittle and the lower radiator hose is bulging. What else? Does any of that AIR crap go bad or any of the diagphram doo hickies? Oh and the canister thing, should that be replaced? Been there for atleast 9 years. Thanks.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: Haven\'t gone to sleep, waiting for the sun to come up to work on my k5

Sounds like basic maintenance issues. If the hoses are bulging then they should be replaced soon. Check the belts, if they are cracked replace those too. For those items, I would say at least consider replacing them every 2 years. Antifreeze should probably be srained and replaced at the 2 year mark also. Some people change it every year. Those vacuum lines are cheap and easy to replace too.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

I agree, do the basic stuff that you see 1st and keep up with it. If something does break, make it better than it was. If you take something apart, clean it and paint it so you will be constantly up grading your truck. The more time you send checking things out, lubeing things up and keeping up with the maintenance items, the less your truck will break and the better it will treat you. If it looks worn, replace it, if it's dirty, clean it. Keep a book in the garage with all the dates you do anything to your truck so you will always know when it was done last and if you have any warranty problems it will be there at a glance.
    Oh, and get some sleep so you don't F it up.......hehe /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just get out the lights and thrash all night....