Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

havin sum minor electrical problems... best solution?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rwright07, Jan 23, 2006.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

so this weekend i installed a stereo system in my 76 blazer
    its a 50wx4 max, 23w rms,
    hooked it up to 4 6.5" 3 way speakers that i installed as well.

today i noticed when drivin to school that the volume suddenly dropped after sitting at a red light for like 7 min, didnt think much about it
    but after school i was foolin around listenin to music in the parkin lot w/ the truck at low idle... later when i was drving the volume dropped again but i looked at the volt gauge in the truck, it was below the midline on the gage, about 1/3 between 8-18 i think, it got louder when i turned the headlights on and when the engine was dropping after being at higher rpm

about 10 min after that the sound just suddenly stopped comletely...:confused:
    errrr :angry1:

im wondering what u all think is most likely the problem and how to best fix it...

i was thinkin mabey alternator or regulator but IDK

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Damn you were sitting at a red light for 7 minutes? That sux, I thought LA traffic blew. Ok sorry I have no real advice that may help your situation, I just had to be a smart ass. However, I will try. It may be one of a few things. I have had mine do similar to what your describing and it could either be bad alternator/ voltage regulator, loose connections, battery goin south, the stereo was not hooked up correctly. Test each item and see where it goes. I would start at the alternator to see what kind of current its putting out, then look at your wiring. Where did you run the power wire for the stereo?

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Check the groung wire to make sure it is tight, check the power wire and make sure it isn't shorting out. Make sure your speaker wires are not hitting a ground somewhere.

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Since this started right after installing the stereo, I would start there, check all the wiring you installed and all connections you made. Check for any grounds in the areas you were working and make sure they are making good contact.

If all of this checks out, then I would move on to checking things like the alternator, voltage regulator, battery, etc.

5. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

the power for the stereo was allready installed in the truck, there is a constant hot, a hot that runs only when the truck runs ( and when key is turned all the way toward driver) and the ground

i used 14ga wire for all applications running from deck to speakers and grounds

6. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Double check your speaker connections. Make sure none of the wires are hitting a ground. Also make sure you have a solid ground with no paint under the connection. Loose or bad grounds can give you a headache