Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Having a brain fart, can't remember where to get dual batt tray

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Having a brain fart, can\'t remember where to get dual batt tray

Hi all. Need a dual battery tray for optimas, found trays that mount on the other side of the truck, but can't we fit these optimas next to each other on pass side? And if so, who's got trays for it? LMC shows one but can't tell if it's designed to attach to factory or on driver's side. TIA.

Oh, and I passed my ham radio license test today (probably one reason for the farting brain problem) [​IMG]

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: Having a brain fart, can\'t remember where to get dual batt tray

Congrats on your Ham license........very cool. Lots of guys in our local club use Ham.......must be better than CB. If I remember correctly, you were going to put both in, right?

Anyway, a deal will have the driver's side mount, at a pretty decent price, as dealer parts go. I read your post again and am not sure if you want a tray that holds 2 Optima's at once, if so, try '79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i bought factory trays at dealer one per side

formerly 77chev

4. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

Mmmm-Mmmm Good Eating Ham.
    oh wrong ham.

Later Ed

Get use to the view.
    Because, if your not the LEAD DOG the view never changes.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm using the military (or is it just diesel in general?) trays. I've got 2 trays which gives me enough room for *4* Optimas...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Yea, I want to mount the batteries next to each other. I left a message for Mike at Wrangler - my 155 amp alternator is enroute from them.... duh for forgetting about the tray.

The military tray sounds like a great idea.

I'll let you know what works out.

And yes, I'll run ham and CB. Three antennas (2 ham and 1 cb)... think I'll call it the Porcupine truck... [​IMG]

7. 73k20

73k20 Registered Member

That www.wranglernw.com site shows a battery tray for the later model trucks, Is that one OK to use on an earlier model Chevy too or do thay make another one that I didn't see.

Who said size doesn't matter?

8. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Hey, Russ. Any chance that you are using the factory dual-battery setup? If so, is there any way you might be able to post or e-mail some photos of the driver-side bracket mounting? I am installing the factory auxilliary battery tray on the driver-side, but can't figure out how the tray is secured. I have the support bracket in place already, but am looking to make sure I have everything in there properly.

Thanks,

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>'73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI</a>

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm not sure if it is factory dual (all), or diesel dual, or military (24V). In any case, I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures in the engine compartment before I took it apart. I still have the pristine passenger side and I could just drop it on the fender assembly (inner and outer) setting in my shop to take you a picture. However, I just yesterday cut the support off the driver's side (it was already broken almost off from work hardening) and bolted it to the frame to relocate my battery to the rear frame rail. Sorry...

Best I can remember, it bolted to the core support (maybe the inside of the fender but I think core support) with 2 bolts. Then it has 1 leg that bolts to the flat lip on the front of the inner fender with a single bolt coming up. Good luck.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.