Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Having hell with quadrajet!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muscle, Sep 15, 2002.

1. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

My quad is dying on my '77 blaze and since it looks like I will be spending some money on a new carb I was wondering about the aftermarket throttle-bodie kits like the holley projection. Does anyone have this installed? How well does it work and where is the best place to go to purchase one?

Thanks in advance. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What's wrong with it that a $15 rebuild kit and a afternoon won't fix?
    That said I'm looking at the www.howell-efi.com TBI unit or going to factory from a 88 that I have a computer and harness from.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

FI will mean $$$

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From what I've heard that Holley system is a PITA to either get running, or keep running, reliably. FWIW.

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have got one, easy to install, had it for 2 years without
    problems but wish it was a closed loop system. MY $.02 /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I've rebuilt this quadrajet 3 times. Had a carb man check it out the fourth time. He said that all the bushings needed to be replaced and throttle plate was warped. I'm not afraid to spend the $$ on tbi if it will perform and last a while. I put alot of dough in the motor and hate to skimp on carb when i think tbi is better.

I was thinking there was an aftermarket kit available for a 350hp motor that would be easier than scrounging up a used system from a junk yard.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll probably have better luck buying a complete TBI system from someone on here, that if they pulled it, was smart enough to unhook everything, instead of just cut it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are so short sighted (wrecking yards for sure) that instead of unhooking everything, its cut, which is just plain stupid.

8. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

www.customefis.com 840 dollars and he will build you a complete gm efi with closed loop, spark controling and burn you a chip according to your engine. If you aren't happy with his chip at first he will let you rent data logging equip and fix your chip. I haven't dealt with him but after reading his web page I would deal with him.