Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

having problems with echobit shackle flip - please help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, May 24, 2003.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

got it bolted on with the leaves and all - <font color="green">now i can't line up the center pin on the spring perch </font> .

i've got stock springs and the echobit piece on the right way (hole one inch forward - per directions).

i appreciate any help

alex

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

can't you just loosen both sides of the axle and move it until the holes line up? How are they misaligned? too far forward or back? Or is it too far to one side or the other?

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    got it bolted on with the leaves and all - <font color="green">now i can't line up the center pin on the spring perch </font> .

i've got stock springs and the echobit piece on the right way (hole one inch forward - per directions).

i appreciate any help

alex

[/ QUOTE ]

You are using a shackle right?

4. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

the axle is too far back (or the springs are too far forward...) i'm takin' apart the other side right now so i'll try what you suggested...though i'm not sure if i should be proping up the whole rear end with a hi-lift jack alone...

5. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

yes sir (using a shackle)

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

cool, i was able to position the axle in the right place...but, i can't get the centering pin into the spring perch...and i won't be able to tonight...has anyone run their truck without the pin all the way through to the perch? think the u-bolts will be able to hold the springs in place on their own?

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    though i'm not sure if i should be proping up the whole rear end with a hi-lift jack alone...

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

i'd stay away from the hi-lift and use a floor jack and some tall jackstands. i like to pull the wheels so the truck can be lower to the ground and have the truck on one set of jack stands and the rear axle on another set. then use the floor jack to move the axle around. also a good idea to through one of the tires under the t case just in case. be safe /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Definately be safe! A 6500 lb truck falling on you will tend to leave a bit of a scar....

9. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

yeah, this is making me f***ing crazy...been workin on it all day and still ain't that close to being done.

i'm gonna buy and floor jack and work on it later...

10. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    cool, i was able to position the axle in the right place...but, i can't get the centering pin into the spring perch...and i won't be able to tonight...has anyone run their truck without the pin all the way through to the perch? think the u-bolts will be able to hold the springs in place on their own?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I fully understand you, but it doesn't sound like a problem that should take all day? Either way, there could be dirt in the perch that's 20 years old and looks like it was cast that way. I usually use a drill to take it out but a screwdriver or an awl works as well. The short answer is no, the u-bolts won't hold the axle. If the centering pin isn't fully seated into the perch and you tighten down the u-bolts, the axle WILL rock back and forth upon acceleration and breaking busting the pin. This will take out your driveshaft, shocks, brake hoses, brake cables and lots of bodywork. If you went with a new leaf spring, there IS a possibility a 3/8" bolt was used rather than 5/16", or 1/4" even. In which case you'll have to drill the perch out to make the pin fit.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The pin MUST go down in the hole. Just move the axle forward back, rotate the pinion up/down, or shove the springs to the side, it will go. At least it will go if you have the correct GM spring bolt. A Ford, for instance, is too big and has to be turned down...

12. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    At least it will go if you have the correct GM spring bolt. A Ford, for instance, is too big and has to be turned down...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't do that. I'd open up the hole in the perches. Turning down the bolt may not leave enough surface area to properly spread the torque out over a over the outside of the hole. Worst case, breaking the head off or stretching it pulling it into the pack.

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Removing 1/16" shouldn't make much difference, and I've never heard of anyone having trouble with it even though it's done frequently to mount the 57" springs. I turned it down just so I could go back to GM springs if I ever wanted to, not that it would be that hard to make a bolt to fit the larger hole. In any case, if the bolt is holding the spring together after installation, then turning down the head is the LEAST of your troubles. Turning down the head will not affect the shear strength of the bolt in any way...