Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

having probs with my 78!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by deadtoyou, Mar 18, 2005.

1. deadtoyou

deadtoyou Registered Member

my truck is smoking like crazy. it blows a little blue but mostly white. it runs fine and it just started doing this recently, is there anything i can do about this other than changing motors?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Is it losing coolant too? Does the exhaust smell kind of sweet?

If so, check the dang oil. If it looks like a milkshake stop driving it !!!!

If the oil is fine you need to do a compression check for either a blown haed gasket or a leaky intake manifold....

White smoke is usually coolant being burned in the cylinders....

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

smoke screen....

You have to find out just whats burning!--it sounds like coolant,but it could be a blown diaohram in your vacuum modulator (if its got an automatic,and its not a 700R4,they dont have one)--that will make lots of whitish blue smoke,and will also suck enough dextron out of the tranny to make it slip,and possibly ruin it eventually.....

I've seen power brake boosters fill up with brake fluid due to a master cylinder with a leaky seal,and it gets sucked into the intake manifold and burned,that makes lots of whitish smoke too.( kinda rare though)...a few trucks I have seen smoked badly when the oil got diluted with raw fuel from a bad fuel pump--a plugged PVC valve or hose can cause pressure build up in the crankcase and make oil blow by the rings,that'll make tons of smoke too..using two cycle mix for your chainsaw will make it smoke real good too(ask me how I know this!!:blush: ) .so will oil added to the gas--one crooked guy I knew of used to dump a quart of oil in a cars gas tank at the auction he wanted to buy,so he could get it cheap due to the "junk engine"...:mad:

But most of the time its oil burning due to broken or worn piston rings,or a cracked piston,bad head gaskets or a cracked head or block...not good news..:frown1:

You didnt goof and put diesel fuel in it by mistake did you!!---I did that once in a hurry when I was late for work,and pulled up to the only pump nobody was using..-:blush: :blush: -I only got about 10 miles up the road and it started smoking so bad cars behind me had to pull over!--and my engine sounded like it was spark knocking itself to death--had to limp home at 25 mph,any faster it would just shut off and stall!!--I was REAL late for work that day,had to drain out the tank and start over!!...:frown1:

Time for you to check theese things,if nothing seems wrong,a leak-down test or compression test will tell whats leaking if its oil burning(a lkeak-down test seems to be better--I've seen pistons and rings that were broken or cracked and the compression was still normal!--) look for oil on the spark plugs--you can see if anti-freeze is being burned just by looking at the plugs too--they will appear to be "steam cleaned" compared to the ones in the "normal" cylinders...good luck--hope its an easy fix..:crazy:

4. deadtoyou

hey thanks for the replys, i checked the coolant level and its normal, checked the oil, its great. i dont think i put diesel in it, it runs good, just smokes like i said before, it sucks tranny fluid like a mother****er. and how do i get a compression test done? i dont know awhole lot about this **** so thank you for helping out

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Does it leak tranny fluid? If not, crawl under it and pull the vaccum line off the module. If that is oily and dirty inside, then you need to replace the vaccum module on the tranny....

Cheap and easy ! :grin:

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

For a compression check, go to Sears and buy a compression tester - the screw in type. Follow the enclosed instructions and read the results.

Cost = probably $25-$35....

7. deadtoyou

i did the compression test, all were good except #8 which i got 60 max out of it, i replaced the module and its still smokin pretty good out of the one exhaust pipe. the plug out of #8 was really oily but the rest were just normal. while i was doing the test, some blackish ****(looked like oil) shot out of the spark plug hole on #8. im gonna drive it and see if it clears up, is there anything else that i need to know or do to help it stop?

8. diesel4me

Oh -Oh

Sounds like #8 cylinder has a piston or ring problem,since its got low compression,oil must be getting by the rings...sometimes the oil return holes in the head clog up with sludge and allows oil to puddle up in the head,mostly on the rearmost cylinders(nearest the firewall)and it floods the cylinders with oil and makes it smoke-
    -but the 60 lbs of compression isnt a good omen--probably not the oil returns causing it in your case--its free to check though,take off the valve cover and see if its sludged up..I think an overhaul is in the cards for your motor--thicker oil or stuff like Motor Medic will slow down the oil consumption a bit,but you will have to fix it right sooner or later..:crazy:

9. deadtoyou

yeah but its not sucking any oil at all, i havnt had to put any in there for a long time. i just have to put like a quart of tranny fluid in every other day.

10. diesel4me

Hmmm--

The only way tranny fluid can get into the engine and burned is thru a modulator valve with a bad diaphram--if you put a new one on,it cant get into the engine--(assuming you have a TH400 or TH350 tranny that uses a modulator valve--the 700R4 doesnt have one at all).
    .If you have only 60 lbs of compression,and oil on the #8 plug,it MUST be using some oil-unless the valves are at fault,but usually leaky valves dont oil foul plugs unless the intake valve guides are badly worn and the valve stem seals are shot--
    --even then it would be minimal compared to bad rings or pistons..the tranny fluid is probably leaking out somewhere,like a pan gasket,dipstick tube,detent cable grommet,front pump seal,or its leaking into your transfer case--(you'd know it by now,it would be overflowing most likely )..

.its possible for oil to get sucked into the cylinders when an intake manifold gasket fails,it can be pulled in from the lifter galley--but it would have a vacuum leak due to the bad gasket too,and idle poorly and run lousy..doubt if that is your problem..:crazy:

11. deadtoyou

well last time i topped the oil off was a couple months ago, it now says that it is quite a bit overfilled. i dont get it. but thanks for the help anyways

12. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

my 89 model 350 had the same problems. no.1 oil fouled plugs in an hour or less of driving. i tried everything from valve seals to SeaFoam (which made it smoke even more) and eventually it was using 8 GALLONS of Rotella 15w40 (i figered it would burn slower because it's thick). so i just dropped $2500 on a new Jasper Stage 1, and i love it.:k5:

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

All right gurus why is he gettin tranny fluid in his crankcase?