Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

having some strange steering problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fright89, Dec 6, 2002.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

Started having some strange steering problems a little while ago. Put up a few posts and decide to start replacing front-end parts. Briefly the problem was after a slow turn backing up or pulling out of my driveway the thing would pull hard to the right real hard and I would have to compensate real hard on the wheel then it would free up a and I would go to the left because I was over compensating the pull to the right. Was loose going straight. Would not track good going straight always to the left or right.

So I have replaced
    Steering box
    Tie rod ends
    Connecting rod
    And adjusted toe in

When I jack the front end up everything is tight. If I am checking everything correctly. I think I am. I am not a mechanic by trade.

I can tell when I drive that the new parts made a great improvement but I am still getting a little wondering. Coming out of a curve at speed it seems like it still wants to keep turning and wanders back the other way.

Got some snow last night so we went out for a cruse and I was really getting pulled around in the slush. Changing lanes on the hiway was scary. Just seems to wander off to the left or right. Seems as thou I have missed something.

I did notice some sort of connection by the firewall on the steering column, do those ware out? Or could the whole column be bad?

Any help on checking ball joints, seem fine, or any suggestions on what to look at next would be appreciated. Thanks

2. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Do you have a steering stabilizer? If so, check it. If not, buy one.

3. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

I replaced that also. forgot to put it on the list.

4. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm out. Anybody?

5. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

I am in the a situation like you. I just install my Dana 60 and between 30 and 40 I get wobble. I only have 4" lift with 33's (for now). I have been changing parts out also, but I still get that wobble.

Good luck!
    Are you have any clicking noises when you turn the wheel full left to full right or vise-versa?
    I had that before I went to 1 ton. It was my steering box.

Mike B

6. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

Do a search for death wobble. I think it is a well-documented problem.

Mine just feels loose.

I will be going up to NH next weekend and would really like to get this figured out. I will take another look this morning but would much rather be out playing in the snow.

Anybody?

7. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

got it fixed thismorning and still had time to go wheeling in the snow /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif