Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Having trailer brake problems need help asap

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 2High4U, Mar 3, 2007.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I am supposed to pick up some stuff tomorow and cant move the trailer.
    I have a valley journey HD controller with a digital read out. It has a Diagnostics system continually checks for shorts but im getting nothing unusual.

the unit seems to be working alright but the brakes stay locked up on the trailer no matter if im on the brake or not, rendering it unmovable.

I was told it could possibly be the wiring but i dont really have a diagram or anything to go by no matter how long I have searched.

All the lights and signals work, and I have the unit turned down to the lowest setting there is.

I dont have a clue on what the ramp time setting on it is supposed to be.

please help!

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=V52740&Category_Code=BC

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Check to make sure the emergency break-away is not activating the brakes. That is the little cable that you hook up to the tow vehicle from the trailer. My other suggestion would be to hook the trailer to another vehicle to see if it is your tow vehicle, or if the problem is in the trailer itself.

Hope this helps.

3. greythorn3

greythorn3 1/2 ton status

ya

i bet its that breakaway switch.

ray

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

not sure on an electric brake trailer, but there is a little lever you can push as a reset for teh breakaway under the tounge. Look for somethign like this, maybe aroudn where the breakaway cable is hoooked to teh tounge.