Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Having trouble. Help please!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Espen88k5, May 15, 2000.

1. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Back from vacation the Body-lift I ordered had arrived.
    Been on my back in my driveway all day. Pain and sore all over. The manual mentions loosening the steering-column under the dash, and taking out a pin on the engine compartment part of the column. Could anyone clarify this procedure for me. I have a 1988 with tilt. I could not find either the "pin" nor the part the figure showed under the dash.(Not the way it was drawn in the manual)
    Been away for a while so not to sharp spelling I know.

I'm also having serious knuckle-bleeding from working on the 2 rear bodymounts, Have sprayed it down for the night so we'l see tomorow.....
    As always any help deaply appriciated!
    Espen

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Here is a scan from the manual. I have a slip-joint, but cant see that they are pinned together. If i have a slipjointed column, I dont have to loosen anything under the dash, right??
    [​IMG]
    Everything will be clearer in the morning maybe....

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Hey Buddy,, I was wondering where you went off to. Glad to see you back. Hope you had a good time.[​IMG]
    Here's a couple pics,, pic1: Is this bolt what they are refering to as the pin? If you take that bolt out, you can slide the upper portion off. pic2: Is under the dash looking straight up. Those big ones are what holds the column up to the dash. Hope this helps,,

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Todd
    Yours is like the drawing, mine looks nothing like it. I have a drawing in the attatchment. Is the manual saying; "If you have a slip-jointed coulumn you dont have to loosen anything under the dash. Just remove the pin if it has one?" Or should I loosen the steeringcoulumn at the firewall anyway. I could not see any fastner on the cab-side with first glance, only where it is bolted to the firewall, engine-side.

5. Try this pic to help explain. J,K, and D are what you are talking about. This pic shows on a older one, but from what I remember 4 years ago when I did the body lift on my 88 K5, it was like this with two bolt under the column and two at the fire wall and then shake the crap out of it to get it to actually move.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

LOL,,,, sorry Buddy,, Not sure what to tell you then. Good Luck!

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

7. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

The pin they're talking about is a little plastic deal.It's located,in the engine compartment,in the middle of what looks like a slip shaft.It's a real pain to get it out.I got mine out but I don't think the shaft ever really moved.I'm thinking about spraying it down with penetrating lube and trying to loosen it up.I'll try to get a pic posted in a bit but my camera sucks so no guarantees.
    Good Luck.
    Sorry about thi lousy pic.hope it helps.
    <font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

8. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

try this one

9. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Sorry I'm stupid,try again.

10. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

DAY 2:
    Would you belive me if I said I had only one more of the body-mounts left to remove( one of the easy ones to, Yeah right!) and the stupid bolt is just spinning and wont come out?!
    I'l try this tomorow if you cant come up with any better ideas. Gently lifting the body to put downward pressure on bolt,and then trying to turn it and see if it catches track again. It's one of the bolts that goes upp by the driver-s-door.

On the steeringcolumn issue, I am a litle bit smarter and think I know how to go about it. Thanks again guys!

I hear it's better to take the inserts one at the time, going front to back. Instead of doing the entire side at once, do you agree??

And finaly. How to go about jacking if any of you got any do's and dont's.

I'm shooting pictures as I go along and will post when finished.
    Espen

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Just a thought on what I did. I didn't put the bodylift on my rig it was there when I bought it, but what the guy did to my steering shaft was he removed the pins in question then spot welded the shaft to keep the length!! I would NOT recomend streaching out the stock shaft lossing the steering going down the road doesn't sound very appealing at ALL!! What I did to resolve this issue was buy a slip shaft and steering Ujoints from http://www.borgsen.com! Not cheep but I feel WAY safer with that jerry riged pice of jucnk out of there!! Also http://www.flamingriver.com sells the parts you need to make your body lift a safe one!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin