Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

having trouble starting my 79K5 with a 94 454 tbi

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grimjaw, Jan 31, 2005.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Cross posting

I am having trouble starting my 79K5 with a 94 454 tbi from a one ton truck. I bought this tuck in August for a guy in AZ. I had it shipped to GA, where I picked it up at the trucking company and drove it home. It ran OK on the drive home except sloppy steering.

Due to the steering and starting a new job it sat for about 2 months before I drove it again. This time it started and ran as I tested the steering out. I only ran it around the parking lot for a few minutes. The next time I tried to start it the batteries were dead. I could not even start it with a jump. This may be the beginning of the problem. So I pulled the batteries and charged them over night. It still would not start.

Fast forward a little more and now my condo complex is giving me crap about moving it. I tried new plugs, battery terminals and charging the batteries thinking it was electrical. The PO had a bunch of wiring from CBs and stereos going no where. I traced down a bunch of them and removed them.

When I tried to start the truck it either does not turn over as if a dead battery or turns over but does not start. Once in a while it will start and rev fine for about 1-3 minutes or I try to put it in to gear.

I am stumped, but I have A LOT to learn about trucks. I will be grateful for any input. Thanks.

Matt

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

When it doesn't turn over, with the headlights on, and the key in "start" position, do the lights dim?

If they don't, I'd suspect the neutral start switch at the base of the column. Might be JUST close enough to being out of alignment that it makes intermittent contact. They are adjustable.

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Update - 3/8/2005

Ok, today I replaced the ignition module, Distributor cap, and rotor and plug wires. The spark plugs are new. Now the engine will turn over each time I try to start it. When the engine starts it seems to rev up and then die with in 15-20 seconds. I have no clue what is wrong any more. My condo complex is telling me I must prove it runs by the end of the week or they will tow it.

I need any help anyone cares to provide. If I can not figure this out I will have to have it towed to a shop before they tow it.

If anyone knows what may be the problem I would be grateful for any input. Otherwise does and one know a good shop in
    North Atlanta?

Thanks for your time.

I
    am posting this in the Garage and Southeast forums also.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

sounds like a fuel problem if it starts for a few seconds and then dies. I would first check the voltage at the fuel pump. Is it in tank or on the frame rail? It could be getting voltage from the start position but not in the run posision, pump could be bad, etc. If you have good voltage pull a line and check the flow. Basically see if the engine is getting enough fuel to it.

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The guage is reading almost a half tank. I will check the lines and filter. I have also been told to check the MAP sensor and for Vacuum leaks.

Thanks for the input.

6. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

do you have your foot on the gas?

It is possible the ECM is bad.
    Tap the egr valve with a rubber mallet.
    pickup can be bad

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

yeah, I am pumping it lightly.

8. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

try a few things that jeb said.

If it isn't a pain, remove the o2 sensor and try starting it.

Pull the oil filter cap off, and have someone crank it over. See if the rockers are moving.

If you have an aircleaner, remove it and try starting it.

does your oil light turn off after it starts or after so many cranks?

try putting one bottle of heet in there. Plus, adding a few gallons of fresh gas.

9. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

After all of the input I am leaning to believe its going to be fuel system related.

I am more than a little leery of working on the fuel system with my limited knowledge. My family had a car go up in flames in the past. As a great man once said “A man was know his limitations”. So at this point I am looking for a good place to take it to have the work done in or around North Atlanta. I am under the gun on time; I only have to the end of the week. Thanks.