Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hay STC does colors now!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I have been talking with Specialty top. Their website does not show this but they do offer colors other than black and white. Here is what they said they can do. Still need to check on if there is any extra charge.

We do have colors in addition to black and white. We have blue denim
    (04), almond (11), charcoal (13), black denim (14), spice (18), and red
    (19). If you wish to have spice, I will make it.

I was going to get black but once I found out they are now doing colors I have a Almond top comming that should be a pretty close match to the Khaki camo color my truck is.
    Look for a review in the next few weeks.
    Stephen Watson with www.offroaddesign.com is one of their distributors if your ready to order. Be sure to tell him where you found out about the tops.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

cool thanks for the info /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

As soon as I have the extra coin I am going to get one. I hate having to mess with the hard top over the summer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Only thing I am worried about is running it year round. When I get one I want to use a pickup gate and really don't want to have to swap everything back and forth from summer to winter.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I'm still up in the air about the year round thing myself. At this point I'm thinking of swaping in the late fall and save a few months of wear and tear. It does get cold enough that I would have no interest in removing the top for a few months. On the other hand have a 70deg day in December is also not uncommon down here (GA)
    The pick up gate is a good idea. Save a few pounds that is for sure In fact the hard top was originaly the options. Just most trucks got it unless you deleted it. When the hard top didn't come from the factory the K5 got a pick up style gate. Still trying to figure out if it was a different gate than a truck. If it was lockable or would mate with the bed seals that a truck doesn't have. I think I know of one truck in FL that a member has that did not come with a hard top. Trying to find his e-mail to get the scoop.
    My problem is how to attach the rear curtain. my truck does not have a conventional gate. it has barn doors and the way the top is made I'm going to have to figure something out.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Grimmy, I have done some research on the soft top and truck gate myself. If you look in the jambs all the holes are there for a P/U gate. Thats all it is from what I have gathered, just a regular P/U gate. If I do it I will just off my HTand keep the soft top on yr round. You have the occasional 70* day in GA during the winter, we have the occasional day where a soft top wouldnt be tolerable in Fla. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If you do convert it over you will need all the associated hardware like the hinges and straps.

I think this came up on the main board a few months ago, and a few guys had pics of the K5s they converted over.

I am not sure about the gate seal, but I am guessing that is will not seal juging by how thick the K5 gate is VS the P/U gate. There may be a different seal tho. Lockable...I doubt it. But when you have a soft top, locks are kinda irrelevant. Locks only keep a person honest. If they want in they will just slice the top. Something I had to come to terms w/ when I had a soft top CJ.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Remember I used to live in Newnan. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The weather down there is kinda funky sometimes. It was about the same up here this year, we had a 70 degree day in Jan and overall the winter was mild. I know a bunch of Jeepers run soft tops all year round up here so it might not be that bad. If you find anything out on the pick up gate deal let me know since I would be interested in hearing about it.