Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Haynes or Chilton?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 28, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm thinking I want to buy a manual for my truck... I've had one for the K5, the Camaro, my mom's old buick, and an auto tranny rebuilding manual. I can't say they've been awesome, but helpful at times, and I probably would've done fine without them.
    I had "Motor" manuals when I was a kid, passed down from my dad, which I thought were really good.

I'm also thinking of getting one for the minivan, since I'm a little nervous about messing with it's more complex systems at all...

So anyway, I'm surfing amazon right now and reading less than flattering things about both in the reviews.

What are your opinions? Is there another, more complete manual published?

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Find a service manual for it. I'm blocking on the name right now .. but they show up on ebay from time to time. Actually there are a lot on ebay, just not always what you need.

I thought I had a link to a place that sells them, but it must have gotten deleted. They are usually around the 100 dollar range though. But, if found on ebay, can be bought for cheaper.

I just can't seem to remember the publishing companies name... :mad: :confused:

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Helm (www.helminc.com), they produce the factory service manuals for GM, and they are having a sale on the manuals in stock for around $45.00 or so for pre-95 vehicles.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

LOL.. I was just coming to post that. :waytogo:

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

haynes and chilton are about even IMO. gm manuals are awesome. ive got a couple for my k5 that came with the truck.serive manual and unit repair manual. way more info than a haynes or chiltons. they are nice to have around tho, if your looking for basic info,like lug nut torque specs or something,its alot easier to find it in the haynes/chilton than it is the gm manual. so basically im saying buy as many manuals as u can find. :D

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I have been looking for a factory service manual and all I have found were pricey or falling apart. Helm had a 1983 Light Truck Shop Manual (stock # ST33083) for $30.00. This was the only year they had for our trucks. This should cover most info for 73-87.

BTW... I bought both Haynes or Chilton twice. One copy of each for my year truck and another copy of each for my year engine and trany. I got mine off Amazon's market place. This is where other stores and people sell books. All four were new and much less than retail.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have a Chilton's repair manual that covers Truck and van models from 1971-78 and it is VERY informative the also print other years. This manual is very professional and I have no problems in understanding the terms and proceedures that they outline. JC whitney sells them in their catalouge.

8. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Skip both of those worthless rags! get alldata over the internet! 24.95 for the 1st vehicle for a year, and 14.95 for every vehicle after that. the info is accurate and complete,plus no bullsh!t I use it proffessionally! Nuff said! :D

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Chiltons not as good as they were...

I'd say the Haynes manual beats Chiltons,the Haynes have a wiring diagram most of the time--the "Childrens" manual only has basic instructions and lacks detail that others have--I prefer the more "Advanced" books like Motors,Clymer,and GM's own service and assembly manuals,the others are more of a "handymans" guide rather than a serious service manual...I havent any experience with Alldata or any other online service,but several mechanics in my area wont fix anything without it,so it must be good...

I have some older Chiltons books,compared to the newer ones,its like they left out half the things the older one had--now it says "refer service to authorized dealer or repair shop" on things like A/C or even exhaust !--isn't that why you BOUGHT the book??--to FIX IT YOURSELF?? :screwy:

Also it often says to "remove this bolt"--then a few lines down it says "CAUTION"--BEFORE removing this bolt,do this,or you will destroy.....thanks for telling me NOW! :mad: --better read the whole chapter FIRST before you start wrenching!.. :crazy:

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha:

THat's pretty much what a lot of the reviews said.

My dad used to give me Motor(s) manuals, and I do remember them being much more detailed than any haynes manual I've ever used. The haynes and Chilton's were the only ones readily available when I was at an age where I bought things with my own money, that's why I got them, and I do recall feeling a little let down, but for $15, what can I expect I guess... Now with the internet, it's a whole different ball game...

I checked out the helminc.com manuals, and for whatever reason, my '92 package is not on sale, and I'm not ready to drop another $100 on this truck. It looks like I'll hit AllData next. I think I had something like that for my first K5, but popular mechanics branded, and it was terrible, navigating was horrendous (but that was I guess when the internet was fairly young still). I'll check it out, though, if you swear by it like that, maybe it'll work for me. :thumb:

Thanks for the excellent suggestions guys! :waytogo: