Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HD Diff Covers *pics*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is a link to my diff covers that i beefed up earlier this week. I plated the ring gears in 1/4" plate. My first real fab project is now under my belt. Now time for bigger and better projects. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/122906310llcSDj

Harley

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Very nice, good starter fab project too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I think that they will be plenty strong. Going from top to bottom gives the plate an arc strength (similar to an expansion bridge design). Did you weld those with you mini-mig or in class?

3. Hossbaby50

I did them on that tiny flux core wire feed. If i would have done them in class the welds would look alot better. I can arc weld pretty well now, still getting used to the wire feed. I think I am going to plate the set of covers on my truck now with the arc welder so they look better.

I have pretty good heat lines on both the covers so I know they are bonded pretty well even if they are ugly welds. thanks for the comps.

Harley

P.S. I got a Hobart autodarkening helmet you should try out. You will be jealous. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I got a harbor freight auto dark specail. It works just fine /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif......

PS. I am jesous /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

While I had mine off today I did the same thing but also added a bunch more 1/4 plate to each side of the arc. I'll try to post a picture tomarrow. I also painted mine red.

John

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Way better welds than I .........I have no welder yet. Great looking covers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    When you do something yourself its very satisfying /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    How much to do mine??

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I did that to my rear cover...
    it held-up well!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Nice job Harley, any plans to plate the lower edge of the 14FF cover as well?

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Looking good Harley. Very similar to mine except my 14 bolt cover has side wings near the bottom third. That thin cover just didn't seem stable enough to me without them, and I was too lazy and in too big a rush to fully plate.

[Edit] I also added some 1/4" strap stock along the lower edges (welded to the flat bolt surface) to prevent peel back. Hasn't leaked yet and that was over a year ago...

10. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey that looks like mine!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]

11. Hossbaby50

Thanks everyone.

I think I am going to eventually plate another 14bff cover for my truck. It is going to have some 1/4" along the lower lip for the peel factor since I don't have much sealing surface from the shave job (can see the threads of the bottom bolt) I did on my 14b. I also might add some more plate to the lower half of the cover for more protection. But for now I think this will be sufficient for the amount and severity of the wheeling I do.

Harley

P.S. Paul, if you want me to do a couple for you PM me and we can talk.