Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HD Drive shaft question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

What should a HD driveshaft run for my 79 K5, 6" lift 1350's each end. Nothing in stone, just a rough estimate since mine blew out this morning and it was beyond repair. I'm just wondering what I'm about to get reemed for. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

for high end chit, prolly $500-550 a pop.

j

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Mine from High Angle with 1350's for the rear on a 4" lift was around mid 500's if I remember correctly.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Click on the link in my sig and send Jess an email. Tell him I sent you.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think I paid around $270 out the door for my rear 1350 shaft, 4" tubing, Neapco joints, and that included a new 1350 slip yoke at the transfer case.
    [​IMG]

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I paid around $270 out the door for my rear 1350 shaft, 4" tubing, Neapco joints, and that included a new 1350 slip yoke at the transfer case.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

A 4" diameter shaft will become easily damaged. There is absolutely no reason for an off road truck to have a driveshaft made from that size tube.

1350 non-cv is a poor choice IMO. Less angle than 1310 makes it really close to binding, especially in a wheelbase as short as a K5. I'd choose something else unless there were no other options.

7. rjfguitar

I don't need a CV, I don't have that bad of a driveline angle. I considered a CV but after talking to the guys at the machine shop we concluded I just didn't have a steep enough angle.

4" tubing is fine. It looks good, is strong, and matches the size of the yoke nicely. Yes, it hangs down 1/2" lower than a shaft with 3" tubing, big deal. I spend ALL my time offroad with it and has never once caused a problem.

8. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I was quoted for the same exact driveshaft with the 1350 at the transfercase by High Angle for $419.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    There is absolutely no reason for an off road truck to have a driveshaft made from that size tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure I see how this comment has any relevance with the rig in question...

j

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    There is absolutely no reason for an off road truck to have a driveshaft made from that size tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

j

[/ QUOTE ]You must be talking about somone elses truck because mine spends 100% of it's time in the mud. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I was quoted for the same exact driveshaft with the 1350 at the transfercase by High Angle for $419.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hi angle builds great stuff but their prices are a little......
    It is one thing with their custom stuff but simpler shafts like mine and I am at my local machine shop....

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

j

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    It is one thing with their custom stuff but simpler shafts like mine and I am at my local machine shop....

[/ QUOTE ]

ALL High Angle shafts are custom. Although it may appear otherwise, NONE of Jesse's shafts are an assembly of parts. ALL are modified to hold up to the beatings we put to them.

13. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Jess' prices wernt any higher (lower in fact) than Driveline Services fo Fresno.