Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HD Military 3/4 axles, will they work on K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bluecollarjock, Dec 2, 2006.

1. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

Hi guys, looking to replace the stock 3.08s on my K5 with 8" lift and fat 36s. Been searching for cheap 3/4 axles because of all the advice on here (thanks you guys are awesome!).

I found this ad nearby, seems cheap, right ratio, and if I read correctly before on here if they are military they will have limited slip up front and lockers in the rear???

Will these bolt up or are the spring perches in the wrong place? What about steering hook ups, driveshafts, 15" 8 bolt rims? Later on would I be able to do crossover steering since my steering is horrible?

"Removed from 68 Chevy K20 (3/4 ton) 8 lug, drums front and rear, 4:56 ratio, closed knuckle front differential, rear differential is "corporate Chevy style", has both removable jackpot, and inspection pan, new brakes and bearings, $225 each or $400 obo for the pair. "

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

4 wheel drum, closed knuckle. Those aren't worth putting in at all. Sounds like the rear is a Eaton h072, front is most likely a close knuckle d44. Don't do it.

3. bluecollarjock

Thanks...Ill keep looking, waiting to see if one of the members here parts out his truck with some nice 5.13s...Ill hold out for them unless some incredible deal comes up.

4. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Just curious WTH is a "jackpot"? MAybe he ment carrier?

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the rear sounds like an eaton id pick the rear up. 4.56's and most likely a detroit:D

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

eatons are badass and have bling factor cuz there arent many around:bow:

7. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

If you go the "Military" route, which is a great idea, know Mil ratings are higher than civvy. My M1009 has "3/4" axles. 6 lug 10 bolts w/ 3.08 gearing and a Gov-Loc in the rear. Or what Civvy rates as 1/2 ton:(

Basically make sure it's a 8 lug axle.:wink1:

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

What you want is the military "1 1/4 ton" axles. I belive they come from a m1008 cucv. It will be a D60 front with 4.56 gears and a posi. The rear will be a gm 14ff with 4.56 gears and a detroit.
    -Harrison

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

the d60's that came with posi were in the m1028's, m1008 were open

10. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

definetly stay away from the closed knuckle drum brake front axle. worthless.

If I was you I'd snag that eaton rear axle. These guys are right, major bling. Stout as hell.

You said you wanted an axle with 5.13's, a member named "crazy427" had an 8-lug corporate 10bolt front that was rebuilt with new brakes , 5.13's and a posi and no one seemed to bite on it. I was interested,but the gearing was to low for me. If he still has it, and he may, I bet he'd let it go for a pretty reasonable price.

11. bluecollarjock

Hi! Yes he has it, and I want it! But I cant find a matching rear, and I need a pair or Ill still have my K5 sitting around until I do. If you know anyone with a rear with those gears who has a deal, please let me know!

Merry Christmas!

12. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

just buy that front axle , bolt it in your truck and drive it until you find or build a matching rear. Don't pass up on it just because you don't have a matching rear, he's selling that axle REALLY cheap. You will end up paying more if you pass up that deal. Just don't put the truck in 4wd until you match up.

14boltFF's are the easiest axles to work on and 5.13 is actually the lowest gear currently available for it. Odds are you won't find one with 5.13's in it at a bargain price,but never say never. The CUCV 14-bolt 1 ton axles that came with 4.56 gears and detroit lockers are around 500-600 bucks. You would probably pay more for one with 5.13's.

I'd just snag a cheap ,bombproof 14BFF for $100-175 and swap in the gears and a locker yourself.

13. bluecollarjock

I wish I could say I could, but Im a mechanical moron! No tools and live in the city as well, so no place to work on it. But I did network with a guy on here who is pretty good at most things and will help swap the axles in if I find any. Getting the axle re-geared around here could cost $800 in labor alone, and I just cant afford that on top of a new locker and gears too. Once i put new axles in Ill have to get new rims too as I still have the 6 lug MT beadlocks.

Still holding out to find a matching set for cheap, but maybe I should consider your plan since it is set up nice with all new parts! Nice guy too, I have been emailing him alot about it! Sweet truss on it as well.

14. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

I know how it is. I live in the city too and have to do any work on my trucks in the parking lot where I live! I really have no ambition to own a house. At this point the only reason I would want one would be to have my own driveway and garage to scatter my junk in.If you study and get the details down you can change the innards on a 14-bolt out in about 4 hours. $800!!!! daaaaaaaaaaaayam. Its around $500 here. $550 is the highest I've seen quoted lately,but it's been 3 months since I've asked around. It may be around $600 now,but 800 is rape. Especially for a 14-bolt.

I actually have a set of 8-lug American Racing Outlaw II wheels I'm selling and if I didn't need the money or some parts for my Wagoneer I'd give them to you cheap.

You could just bolt-in the 8-lug axle up front and find some really cheap 8-lug wheels and tires from the scrapyard to run up front for a while until you get the rearend you need.....all so you don't have the axle lying around as decoration in your living room lol. The rims don't even have to be pretty, you can just grab a $2 can of flat black off the shelf at walmart and spray them to make due. You can probably sell that 6-lug front factory axle on this board for around $80 pretty easy to help put cash back into your axles.

Whatever happens, good luck

and Merry Christmas to you too

15. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

Of course, since you've got the friend who will bolt the axles in for you, you could always get a matching pair of 3/4 ton axles with factory 4.10 gears ( lowest factory gear available )and bolt them straight in with minimal worries. You can get a semi-float 14-bolt for around $100-150 and the matching 10-bolt or Dana44 front for about the same. After that, all you need is new u-bolts front and rear, rear e-brake cable check and a conversion u-joint for the rear driveshaft that costs about $30 at most Napa,Autozone,Pep Boys,etc..

all with a total investment of around $300-375 ........with just rims and tires left to figure out.

You can get by with 4.10's for a while with around a 35-36" tires on a stock motor, and swap to lower gears later on when you have the $$$

16. bluecollarjock

10-4 Brother...yea this area is for yuppies and liberals...since Im a cop, its fun to work here, but not the most appealing place to live cost of living wise and traffic. "Someday" Ill move out to the country somewhere once I burn out a bit, or get another graduate degree and move on to another career.

My friend might have found a 44/14 4.10 combo for $400 he is working on right now. If so I might have to make that work. Another guy emailed me a new 14ff w/detroit and 4.56 plus matching 10 bolt w/Detroit for $1500 or something crazy...but he didnt email back after I asked more questions. This is not a full size American truck area, tons of Jeeps but not many full size rigs. I just have to smile when I go back to Ohio and PA where I grew up, all kinds of people running big Ford, Chevy, and Dodge pickups and SUVs with lifts (even if they arent done right ahah), and other cars with high mileage and tons of rot...around here, is japanese and euro cars all over!!!

Yea, I need to burn out on the cop excitement and get back to wheeling and hunting one of these years..

17. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

$400 is decent for that combo. Screw the other one! You'd be paying about the same as you would if you bought the axles stock and had them re-geared and locked at full price. And we're not here to pay full price!

I'm a city boy,but I like to get away to the country. Just shot my first buck in over 5 years during Thanksgiving.

The Jap and euro is all over. Gas prices force people to compromise (not me, still drive my Burb everyday) ..........because no one REALLY likes imports, do they?

heh