Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HD Oil Cooler for 89 Burb was punctured

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jun 30, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I pulled the one from my 89 Burb, after I primed the engine I just installed, and found that the engine oil cooler was leaking. It appears to be a B&M cooler... just like the one listed at summit racing for $109! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Anyone see a problem with me trying to repair the leak in this unit I already have? Its on the side (not in the "fins"), and its between two of the segments in the cooler... I could attach pics later tonight... but for anyone thats looked at one of the B&M coolers, you would know what I mean. It looks repairable... but I REALLY don't want to risk losing an engine over the fact that my oil cooler fails. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Any suggestions? Anyone out there have one of these they want to sell? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check out this B&M cooler from Summit. part No# BMM70264. Has 1/2 " NTP fittings you can adapt anything to it.. Its what I replaced my stacked plate cooler with. It should fit no problem if you already have a B&M cooler. Its $49.95
    It also replaces the stock GM cooler exactly. Except you need adapters to NTP threads for the oil lines.

3. KRAZIE87K5

GOOD CALL! Thats the one I just ordered up! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Matter of fact, that looks IDENTICAL to the one that I pulled out of the truck. SO... thanks for the sweet tip! The only one I found when I looked out there was the entire engine oil cooler kit. You da man!

-Dan

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Glad to help. Thats why these boards are great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Save a lot of time money and hassle

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I wish I would have asked the same question about a month ago. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The oil cooler on my '90 burb sprang a leak too. I was planning on just removing the cooler and having a shop pressure test it to find the leak and then fix it. I was hoping that this would be around $30 or so. To make a long story short, I ended up twisting off the metal part of the lines removing the cooler, so I had to buy a $115 engine cooler kit. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And, when I installed it, all I used was the cooler (which was the EXACT same thing as my $40 tranny cooler), the rubber hoses, and two of the fittings in the kit. (The oil filter sandwich adapter wasn't as "universal" as it said it was)

Oh well...too late now. I didn't really have time to wait for parts though since it's my DD. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. KRAZIE87K5

Actually, I would like to correct this thread real quick like... I got B&M P/N 70264 today, which is acutally a tranny cooler, with hose-clamp type fittings on it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The REAL P/N that I need is 70266, which has 1/2" NPT fittings, and is also the 3-section cooler (70266) vs. the 2 section (70264) cooler.

I've now paid to have this correct cooler next day shipped ot me for ANOTHER $20... ah well... thats the price to play today I guess...

Happy parts hunting folks! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif