Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HD Radio anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 20, 2007.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anyone else have any experience with HD radio? The thread about Sirius and XM got me thinking about it.
    It's digital simulcasts of regular terrestrial radio stations, with additional stations on the same frequency.
    So if you have a digital/HD tuner, you can tune in your regular station, say gay teen music on 106.1. Now your radio displays "106.1 - 1" and it's a digital version. If you roll the dial up to change the station, it will go to "106.1 - 2" and you'll get their HD2 station, which is completely different programming, maybe country, rock, etc. The HD2 stations are commercial-free also. I'm not sure if that's permenant or experimental. I've read a little that the HD technology is licensed, not actually owned by the radio stations, so I think the owner or the fcc requires it to be commercial free for at least a set period.

We have 3 HD stations in my area, and one of them is country, which is nice since we haven't had country around here in almost 10 years. Now I hear BMW is putting HD receivers in new vehicles and circuit city is pushing the receivers. I have a receiver through my job, but I don't get to listen much cause it's a pita to move the receiver around between vehicles and offices, etc. But I'm hoping it takes off and eventually replaces analog radio so the recievers get cheaper. I'd LOVE to hear country on the bike and commute... My Mp3 library is getting a little burnt...

So any thoughts on it?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I honestly think it's a decent idea, but may be too little too late for a lot of people.

I for one just ordered all of my SIRIUS equipment today for all of my rigs.

I am sick of regular radio and we no longer have any kind of rock station anymore. HD radio just doesn't do much for me compared to what SIRIUS and XM have to offer.

They should have made that move 2 years ago, it may have kept a lot of people from buying into sat. radio, and would have slowed down the huge growth and popularity of it (sat radio), if HD radio is actually decent.

What I wonder is what is going to happen to local stations, how far their ratings have gone down in say the last year.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The local radio stations here are running LOTS of ads pushing HD radio. They go on and on about the sound quality, they just fail to mention the part about ads... :rolleyes: I typically only listen when driving or working in the garage. But even then, I'll just turn it off if there's too much talking or too many repetitive ads. Radio is mostly too annoying for me.

HD will have advertising, as none of the record companies are giving their music away. Sat radio pays royalties to the record companies out of the subscription fees. Terrestrial radio pays royalties out of the advertising fees. Any time you hear a song (or even part of a song) on radio or TV, the station has to pay a royalty.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I really wonder how that works. When I was in college, I DJ'ed a 3 hour weekly show at the radio station. It was (and still is) a local broadcast (low wattage) station.

Anyhow, we played whatever the hell we wanted, and we didn't keep track of anything. Only thing we had to do was play certain advertisements, and give the frequency and call letters at the top of every hour, as required by the FCC. Music wise, there was no tracking.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Really don't care about it much. As long as Channel 40 on XM continues with it's 11PM EST, 10PM CST tradition, I ain't changing............................

:saweet: :saweet: :saweet:

6. HarryH3

Real radio stations ;) (and TV stations as well) have to keep track of every song that they play over the air. They then make payments to the recording companies, who then distribute the money to the performers, song writers, etc. Royalties are where most of the money is made in the music biz.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If that were true Someone like Ted Nugent would get thousands of checks in the mail for 3 cents every single day...:confused:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one problem--its EXPENSIVE!..

The "country" station in Boston (WKLB) has been advertising a new "HD" radio channel that plays "Classic Country"24/7--I'd love to hear it BEFORE I lay out 300 bucks for an "HD" radio reciver!..I bet that 300 bucks would buy twice as much music if you bought the CD's instead..I suspect their "playlist" would be often repeated, and limited in selection ,just like their regular programming on their "mainstream" country station on regular FM at 102.5...

I E-mailed them the other day,and lamented how sick I am of hearing the same ten artists repeatedly,despite them crowing about having "more variety"..yeah,they play more Tim McGraw,Kenny Chesney,Toby Keith,Garth,Keith Urban,and Carrie Underwwod than anyone!..seems they only play CD's from those artists ,and a handfull of songs from the last 10-20 years,and dam few of them,mostly they only play the same "new" artists over and over..I feel they do this on purpose to "push" those tired of them like myself,into buying the "HD" radio..

Where does it stop??..We are currently cancelling our Comcast cable ,dropping the "expanded basic" down to "basic",which means no more TLC,Discovery,History Channell,TV Land...we cant afford 57 bucks a month to watch a few hours of shows,when 90% are repeats..but I'll miss the TV..

Have any of you noticed its becoming fashionable to CHARGE people for things we used to get FREE??...don't like what your station plays??-BUY A "HD" RADIO...BUY a sattelitte radio subscription..BUY the CD's..BUY a computer,so you can listen online..BUY high speed access,if your sick of being "dissconnected" every few hours on dial up!..BUY,BUY,BUY...nothing is free anymore..:( ..We have to PAY to watch 30 year old re-runs,that we saw FREE when they were NEW!..

The recording industry has always been looking for ways to screw us..first we had vinyl records--then they became "obsolete"--8 track tapes took over--then cassettes--then CD's..now it's I-pods,computers,"HD" and sattelite radio..they make you have to buy everything all over again every few years!..:mad:

There is no good reason for all this--we should be able to hear and watch what we like for FREE on TV and radio,just like we always did in the past...except NOW,everyone sees $$$$$$$$$$,and GREED has all but ruined our entertainment!...anyone go to a concert lately??...I have--it takes at least 100 bucks by the time you get tickets,gas to get there,etc..I think it sucks having to blow 100 bucks a month for decent TV cable channels,especially if you only get to sit and watch it maybe 20 hours a month..:angry1:

9. HarryH3

Nope. Ted gets a check every quarter, for TONS of money, as long as his songs continue to play on the radio. :yikes: That's how the recording industry sets it up. The music biz is freakin' awesome! Royalty income is the best that there is. Work once, get paid again and again... It's the reason that radio can't be free. Someone has to cough up the cash to pay the musicians.

TV works the same way. EVERY time a show or movie is played, the owners, actors, producers, etc. get some cash. (Except for some older movies. Actors used to settle for a single payday, until they discovered the power of re-runs). The money comes either from advertising or from subscription fees. TANSTAAFL. :cool1:

I read that the lady that played the cops wife in the first Jaws movie didn't want a piece of the action, because she didn't think that the movie would be any good. Instead of taking a lower up-front paycheck and a piece of the action, she just took $500. I wonder how often she kicks herself in the a$$? She would still be getting checks in the mail!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's not really how it works. The artist's licensing organization (ascap and BMI) collect the fees and distribute them to the artists as royalties. Sirius and XM also pay these fees, and probably pay a lot more because they're coverage is so much greater than a localized radio station's.
    Everyone who publicly replays an ascap member's copyrighted work has to pay licensing fees to ascap, from night clubs to college radio stations (for-profit college's; non-profit educational's are exempt). Clubs get screwed into this because they sometimes have no control over what their bands will play, and if they cover an ascap artists song, the venue has to pay a licensing fee on it. Almost every artist signed to a label is an ascap or BMI member.

Radio stations send ASCAP/BMI sample lists of what they're playing once or a few times a year, and then a fee based partly on that sample is billed. The fee is calculated by a ridiculous array of factors, including potential target audience (by geographic coverage area), and sadly for the artists, ascap/bmi are behemoth corporations that shortchange the artists. Royalties the way ascap and bmi hand them out are only good for huge artists. Smaller artists get peanuts, usually nothing substantial. ascap sucks out a huge percentage, and they're not getting that much as it is. IE: 1000 radio stations pay ascap $1000 each (and that's on the high side I've heard, usually it's lower), that's $1,000,000 a year. Ascap distributes that among x number of artists after taking a cut as the middle man. More played artists get more money.

Radio stations don't pay anyone else for the music, even when they have an artist live on the air (except when they put on big concerts, then the stations usually pay them).
    Record companies beg for airtime; they used to bribe stations and DJ's to play records they were pushing, so bad that federal laws were passed to stop it (payola laws). It still happens, but now it's in the form of the record co paying for a trip that the station gives away on the air. Not always, but they try to slip things in like that.

I spent too many years on the air in radio, on the programming side of it. I used to have to fill out forms every year certifying that I didn't accept any money or personal gifts from a record company. :doah: It woulda been nice if they threw me a bone... :haha:
    I got out for a while, and just moved into a broadcast supporting industry. A lot of people I worked with have cycled through Sirius, the studios are right in Manhattan. From the programming/on-air/engineering people's perspective, it's another radio gig...:D

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, there's significant cost to supporting all this stuff that you want free. Actors and artists have to get paid, administrative staff has to get paid, transmitters to deliver it to you have to be bought and supported (I do work for a company that has a $7000 a month electric bill :yikes: ). Satellite is staggeringly expensive to maintain, too, that's why they have to charge a premium for it.

When broadcast radio was new technology, you had to pay for the receivers and they weren't cheap. It's the same with most things today, radio, off-air TV, HD radio, iPods, you buy a device and listen free. Satellite and cable tv charge you a subscription, but if they didn't, you'd still have to lay out the cash for the receiver, which can be a chunk of change.

By the way, have you had to pay a street use tax yet? We do down here. When you register your steed, you pay a tax for street use. I told them I'd rather not pay the tax and I'll only drive on the shoulder. They charged me anyway.

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Is that all? The place I work at runs close to $20,000 a month! :yikes: I guess being an industrial site will do that to you. :D

Another side note, we produced around a million dollars of scrapped parts, just in material cost last year. :doah:

I make toolboxes.

13. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I think I paid around 170 for an HD receiver about a year ago. It's a Kenwood cd player. Bought it for the Blazer but running a set of 4 1/2s alone will make anything sound like ass.

14. HarryH3

That's the long winded version of what I was saying. ;) Artists don't get a check from every radio station. The "recording industry" gets the checks from the stations and then doles out the cash to the artists. (And you can bet that the industry gets more than the performers do). :( But the point was that the stations DO have to pay to play the music. It ain't "free".

My sister had to pay $75 :eek1: to BMI in order to sing a popular song at the Miss Florida pageant back around 1980. I'm sure that the fee has increased since then. :eek:

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm all over any technology where, while the hardware costs might be significant up front, there are NO monthly charges at all. I have enough monthly bills... I simply refuse to pile on netflicks or XM or anything else that is going to charge me every single month for something I may / may not use all that much. When I finally get an HDTV (waiting for flat panel LCDs to get cheaper!) I am going to just buy an antanea and get HD over the air waves for free. My wife wants lots of channels, so we will prolly get regular old satalite for $30 a month so she has her channels, but that is as far as I'm willing to go. I ain't paying a boatload extra for digital receivers, bling channel package upgrades and all that other "soak the customer" bs.

j

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good grief! $20k electric bill??

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

When I was still at Lowe's, the Operations Manager (the guy in the store who signs the checks) said in a staff meeting once that the store's average monthly electric bill was $30,000. Yes folks, that's THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for one month's electricity.

Makes me wonder why the corporate people blew off my Employee Suggestion to equip each store with a nice big solar array on the (huge) roof... :confused: :dunno:

Back on topic - I don't even listen to the radio anymore. Tired of hearing more advertising than music; tired of hearing the same 15-20 songs played repeatedly throughout the day.

18. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

My restaurant bill used to be about 2k, then all hell broke lose and now pepco rapes me every month for 4k. The state de-regulated the power co.'s around here:mad: .