Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HD Shackles install in 50min.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Aug 15, 2001.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Last night my brother and I installed my new HD Shackles from ORD in 50 minutes. The trick is to use chanellocks. By squeezing the bushing on the springs they worked their way out with out a problem. (Even the factory Frame bushings) After 18 years they were still in pretty good shape. The only problem was the passenger side. Getting the new ProComp 2.5 spring to line up with the new longer shackle. After 10 minutes of fine tuning the spring with the floor jack she taped her way in.
    I haven't had time to test the out Living in the damb Silicon Valley NO DIRT IN SITE. I have to go about an hour or two. So maybe this weekend. Hay I Guess I can do some URBAN WHEELEN. (curbs, stairs, tree stumps, ect.) LOL

Have a good one! KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dune,

Hey a fellow SV-Guy!!! I didn't realize there was another K5'er so close...I'm just down the street in Milpitas!

Maybe I'll see you around sometime....look for a grey-primer '72 with no top, and a 6-point rollcage....that's ME!

-Greg72

3. DuneRunner

SWEET! I live in Fremont and work in Sunnyvale. Today I drove the K. I have the top off the 83 with a 4 pint cage in the back. wrapped with blue padding. I usually drive the grandma mobile (honda). Hey with a 25 mile commute each way it saves on gas. A group of K5s are going to Frank Rains at the end of the month. You should go! Look up
    www.extremeblazer.com
    And Email David. He to is here in the forums just do a search of my posts and you will find him.
    KEN

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How much does he charge for those "HD shackles". I installed them on my friend's K10 that rides on 44s the other day, and I just wondered why anyone would pay for those when you could make your own VERY easily. We're going to make some from 3/8" plate that will be even stronger than what Steve makes. Probably take less than an hour and cost is nothing.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. DuneRunner

With GreasAble bushings and the bolts for that with the shackles total with ship'N hand. $92.00. But there is a warrenty. So Good LUCK.

6. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

not to mention supporting an awesome crew of dedicated Chevy 4X products, sure you cane make something comparable(sp?) for less , but then who will come up with greeat products and service? 4WPW i doubt it.

7. DuneRunner

YYAAA!!! Thants right

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

There's more CK5ers near you than you think. I work in Newark and live in San Mateo. I also met someone who lives in Foster City (just 2 miles from me) who has a sweet 72. Look around, there's plenty more. I'll keep an eye out for both of you.

9. DuneRunner

Cool. Whats the Jimmy's color? (clean thoughts gents)

I'm always on the lookout for K5s and Jimmys.

DANGIT it's not a bronco!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DuneRunner on 08/15/01 05:06 PM.</FONT></P>

10. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

It was a light blue but the paint was flaking off. Right now it's disassembled and being put back together. Most of the body has been powdercoated a dark blue and I'm waiting for the rest of the parts to come back so I can get it back on the road. I hate driving the POS dodge stratus rental that I have! Give me 2 weeks and I'll be posting pics.

11. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'll be getting the shackles pretty soon. Did you notice any lift after you installed them?

It seems like we're getting more Bay Area folks on here. I live in Alameda but I pretty much drive the K5 all over the Bay. If you want to test your rig, there's a little place in the Hayward hills that I just found out about. Its a little basin with a buncha little hill climbs. NO rocks but you can get pretty flexed up on some spots. Its nothing too great but it gives me a little fix until I get to the real trails.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!

12. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

How do you get there? That sounds like it'd be good lunch time activity for me.

13. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Coming from San Mateo just cross the bridge to Hayward until the freeway turns into Jackson. Go down Jackson until you hit Mission... make a right. After about 5 blocks make a left on Carlos Bee. Go up the hill and make the fist left... Overlook Ave. Then make the immediate right on Palisade... this street is a dead end and you sould see the first hill climb to enter the basin. Just lock it up and go over and to the left. That should take you down. Like I said its nothing special just a little local dirt spot. I can't wait til it rains though. Let me know if you make it out there.

Rod
    Alameda, CA

14. DuneRunner

AAAHHHH I haven't made it there yet. But a closer spot in Hayward on Mission. Just south of Industrial there is a 76 gas station. There is a Kelly More Paint store, Directly behind it is a good number of little hills. A lot of guys go there but be awaire of the Police. 1.5 yrs. ago I took the top off for the first time and took a truck load of people up there. Well needless to say someone was watching and it wasn't the cops. 5 min. later I see the 50 cruz down Mission and while still in 4hi I got everyone in the truck and with the lights off made my way down. Got on Mission and fliped a UEE and like I said still in 4hi took off. Luckly got away and no one was hurt. Most importantly the K.

Check it out if you can. In winter when it rains its a lot o Fun...
    Let me know if you want more directions to it. KEN

15. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Are these places public or private property? I buried a tire in a colvert at night in a vacant lot once and the police stopped. Luckily he just called a tow truck and he had a good sense of humor. He said that since it was private property he couldn't do anything unless the property owner complained, but had it been public property I would be in the back of his cruiser.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could make your own (that's how ORD started), but for some people that is not an option (no tools, supplies, know-how, etc.). For people like me who are mechanically inclined, have access to shop tools (my father and brother-in-law are machinists), and my neighbor owns a fabrication shop (welders and torches). I could design and build the same things ORD does, but they have tested their products, are very reasonable on price, and offer a warranty, so for me it saves the hassles. Granted if I need something today or broke out in the middle of nowhere, I will fab something myself (and enjoy doing it, and saying I made it myself), but if there is a proven product on the market (stronger than I will ever need) with a warranty, and is reasonably priced, I will usually buy it before building it. ORD's products are high quality and reasonably priced considering they warranty it for reasonable usage (and sometimes not-so-reasonable). So even though I could make it for less, I don't mind paying a little more for peace of mind.

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

17. DuneRunner

SAVAGE1 I noticed that there was a little more lift. It is about a half an inch taller. Now the steering is in need of some attention. I have all stock steering and everything is getting a little out of alignment. I am going to go to 4WPW, this weekend in Oaktown and see if they have a DParm. at the shop. And grab a hot dog or two at the same time. KEN

18. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Ken, I pass by 4WP everyday on the way to work. I'll stop if I see your truck.

Rampage, I don't know if that place in Hayward is public or private. There are no signs. Once you get down into the basin you're pretty much away from all the houses and you can't be seen from the roads. It looks like an old motocross area. Been there about 4 times in the last month and had no problems yet...

Rod
    Alameda, CA

19. DuneRunner

If you want to sell the boggers let me know.
    KEN

20. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

You wouldn't want my Boggers... they're almost dead[​IMG] They measure almost 33 inches now[​IMG]

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>