Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HD Tie Rod Clearance

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by nvrenuf, Dec 9, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Do you know approx. how close the 1.5" tie rod gets to a D60 (stock) diff cover at it's closest point during it's swing? Let's assume that the OE steering stops are unmolested.

I will be using a rock ring like protector and I am curious to see if I will have enough clearance.

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I can let you know tonight what the clearance will be with a Bluetorch cover on one. I just got my 1.5x3/8 wall tie rod in and will be installing it tonight. I sure hope it doesn't hit the cover.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I know FortCollinsRam had interference between his ORD tierod and his Crane Diff cover on his D60. Don't know how thick the Crane cover exactly though.

Harley

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Well it hits with no axle stops, I think it will be okay once I get the axle stops in. May have to adjust them out a little though.

I would post a pic but I don't see where you can do that on the new forum.

5. nvrenuf

Great info guys, although I'm thinking if the Crane cover hits my ring will too.

To post pics; once in your Control Panel go to "Edit Options", at the very bottom you will see "Message Editor Interface". In this section you'll see a drop down box, choose "Enhanced Interface", this option will change your reply text window giving you a lot more bells & whistles. :thumb:

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of the clearance when the axle is almost at full lock with no stops.

[​IMG]

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Here you can see how much the axle is turned without the stops.

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the instructions on how to post pics nvrenuf:D

8. nvrenuf

Hmmm... next question, any idea how thick the Crane cover is (from the D60 mounting flange to the forward most edge where it's hitting)?

Glad I could help on the pics, it helped both of us. :thumb:

9. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I can measure this weekend sometime, this is actually a Bluetorch Fabworks cover not a Crane.

10. nvrenuf

That would be great, I'm just trying to get an idea of the distance. THANKS!!

11. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Hey John, just get the hysteer kit and you won't have that problem. Plus then you could be almost as cool as me!

Corey

12. nvrenuf

OWWWW! Hey, that hurt. :yikes: :D

I tried to talk my wife into the hysteer kit but she said Santa Claus didn't have that many moneys. Rats... :doah: That's ok though, it's still in my future she doesn't realize it. :rotfl:

13. Hossbaby50

If you offroad your truck hard with hysteer you put your self at greater risk of cracking the knuckles. Fords are more prone to this butt Chevy's have been known to do it too. Leave the tierod low and just use a very heavywall tierod. This helps keep more of the steering for in the place where Dana designed it to be.

Harley

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Agreed 100%.

And on mine, with 5/16 x 3" plate fit tightly over the diff cover arch, it just barely touches at full lock with a 1.75 OD tie rod.

15. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I have the same tie rod. At full turn, with a stock D60 cover it is too close for me to add a diff protector to the cover...don't feel like getting out there to measure but I can. I would skip the thing...that tie rod will take a very hard smack and bounce back.

Or get a replacement cover.

Post Script - My ram has an 8.5" throw. Turns tighter than my 2wd 'burb.

ORD crossover rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Hossbaby50

If the tolerance is that close then just plate the bottom of the cover below the tierod. Matt (az-k5) has a piece of 3/8" strap steel welded over the ring gear that ends right below the tierod. He also has 1/4" plates running form the strap to various other places on the lower diff cover to protect it from rocks.

This way the rocks are smacking your protected cover or your beefed tierod. The cover doesn't need to be beefed above the tierod. It won't ever hit it up there.

Get a tierod heavier then .250 wall though. They can be bent. Get a 3/8" or 1/2" tierod. They are much harder to bend. No sense in paying for a .250 wall rockrod if you are going to be able to bend it and have to buy a new one.

Harley

17. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have the Crane cover and the 1.5"x3/8" ORD tierod. I had to adjust the axle stops just a bit to keep the rod from hitting at full lock. I will try to get some pics of my setup. I will also grab a measurement of how far the Crane cover is from the cover mounting surface on the D60.

Chris

18. nvrenuf

Great! THANKS!!

19. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

I've got a Crane 60 cover too and I don't hit the cover with the 1.5" tierod. My stops are turned in slightly further than the recommended specs also.

Ryan

20. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think this clearance is going to vary a little from axle to axle. I know on the ford 78-79 d60's the tierods get even closer and some hit and some don't. Some minor rubbing isn't anything to be concerned with, not clearing by 1/8" or more, you might want to do some mods.