Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HD Tie Rod

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaredmajor, Mar 16, 2006.

1. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

I got my dana 60 but it doesn't have a tie rod.:mad1: I would like to get a heavy duty one. I saw on here about rockstompers rock rod and they don't make them any more. I live up here in alaska so the closer the better. Anybody have any idea as to who makes one, or should i just get out out of a junkyard. I am going to get a x over steering but don't want to pay 800 bucks for the tie rod that goes over the springs.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Give Sky a call. They sell their 60 crossover kit for $375 I believe. You just need to supply the 2wd steering box. You could add in a HD tie-rod for another $130 or so I believe.

www.sky-manufacturing.com

3. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

We can get one up to you, we are in BC so not to far.

Jordan
    NWF

4. jaredmajor

I've hear of one that was 1.75od and .5 wall thickness, is that possible for you? and how much if so?

5. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I bought a bunch of 1.5 dom 1/4 wall from the local steel yard that was in the scrap pile along with some long lenghts of 1.5 dom 3/8 wall @ 28 cents a lb . I bought some threaded inserts from mad4wd ($14 each ?) and just made my own drag and steering link . I think my total cost w/ new tierod ends was around $100 . I did buy a sky arm for my cross over steering and still need to buy the other arm so I can do the hysteer but the 1.5 dom 1/4 wall has worked out pretty well in the stock location .

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Look for Pimp Offroad in the Vendor section. He has 1.25OD .25wall DOM, 1.5OD .375 wall DOM, and 1.75OD .5 wall DOM. Best prices I've seen too. :D

7. MTBLAZER89

can i ask why you need a 1.75 tie rod? Tons of people have the 1.5 .25 wall and abuse them regularly. Are you ramming stuff a lot with your tie rod? Seriously though people have clearance issues with diff covers and springs with some 1.5 stuff. You must have a beefy diff cover if you need a tie rod that big so check your clearances there before you buy. Another option is just get a thin .25 walled 1.5 tie rod and run hi steer.:D

8. jaredmajor

I just liked the sound of 1.75x.5, but you pointed out a very good point, thanks

9. MTBLAZER89

No problem just don't want to see people spending money needlessly:wink1: Thats what CK5 is here for.

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 1.75 OD tie rod, which uses TRE's that have a 1" diameter shank, on my truck. I got it from Sky Manufacturing a couple of years ago. Sky does not make them any more (I think) because many of the major manufactures (like Moog) discontinued the 1" shank left hand thread TRE, and also Sky probably decided there really is no real need for a tie rod this large. There are clearance issues with this size tie rod. You will not be able to put a beefy aftermarket diff cover on your truck, and you will have to remove one end of the tie rod every time you want to change the front diff gear oil.