Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HDTV Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

On the new HDTV's you can buy, can you still adjust the color on them? I'd like to know if it's possible to turn the color all the way down to where the screen's in black and white or not. If you can't then I'm probably not ever buying one.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on the TV. If you're anal about watching stuff in b/w you could always just use some kind of video editing software... complete waste of time... but to each their own I guess.

j

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can't figure out why you would intentionally spend the $$ on an HDTV and then turn the color off??????:dunno:

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Prob to watch cartoons in B/W..... :confused:

But yeah why in the world would you do that, it defeats the purpose of HDTV :confused:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your going to have to buy something , either cable tv box , satellite tv box , or a set top over the air box for HDTV to convert your older TV's .

After several more years the government is pulling the analogue TV plug , no more old school broadcasts ...... AT ALL .

They will be subsidizing boxes for the poor , but I bet there will be so many prequalifications that most of the poorer people just above poverty will make to much money to qualify though .

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

I like watching stuff in b/w for the different look of it. I grew up when color TV's largely supplanting black & white stuff. And dale01, you guessed it right. Sometimes I like to watch my DVD's in b/w to simulate how the original b/w comics they were based off of looked.

7. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

Then why dont you go buy an old black and white TV to simulate it. It will be just how it looked back then all nice and fuzzy and everything. It makes no since to go buy a $2000 HDTV and then only watch in in black and white:doah:

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

I wouldn't be watching it in black and white ALL the time. :D :D Just for certain things. For my NASCAR racing, football, and baseball, the color's staying on!

9. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can still adjust the color on hi def tv's buts its more complex since there are alot more colors and higher resolutions and might not be the same quilty. Acutcally I saw a few hitachi tv's that had color profiles and included in them were a classic black and white setting

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Now something else. What happens when you try to watch non-widescreen programming on an HDTV? Does it get stretched out?

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

depends on what setting you have the tv on, if it's in widescreen mode, then it will stretch it out. there are settings on the tv to adjust for normal 4:3 ratio. or the widescreen, on some, there are other settings to "stretch" the picture, but then that looks weird. yes you can adjust the color out to where it's b/w and can also adjust each color on some tv's.

12. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Any higher end tv believe it or not will do that. stay with sharp 5u and above in lcd, or a samsung, and pioneer in plasma for that feature. mitsubishi will have it in crt projections and in there dlps.

13. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Work for magnolia home theater, soon mandatory for all tubes to have ATSC (digital tuner built in) and in two years analog is gone.

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My Dads Cheif Engineer of WB station in Tucson , I have been keeping up with HDTV for a long time :D:D

I was even dragged to NAB in Vegas when I was 16 or 17 and it was in its infancy :wink1:

15. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Nice. :) Gotta love the was CEA and the govt keep flip flopping dates.