Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

He grabbed girl's arm -- now he's a sex offender

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jul 1, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

He grabbed girl's arm -- now he's a sex offender

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

July 1, 2005

BY STEVE PATTERSON Staff Reporter

Fitzroy Barnaby said he had to swerve to avoid hitting the 14-year-old Des Plaines girl who walked in front of his car.

She said he yelled, "Come here, little girl," before getting out of his car and grabbing her by the arm.

He said he simply lectured her.

She said she broke free and ran, fearful of what he'd do next.

In a Thursday ruling, the Appellate Court of Illinois said the 28-year-old Evanston man must register as a sex offender.

While acknowledging it might be "unfair for [Barnaby] to suffer the stigmatization of being labeled a sex offender when his crime was not sexually motivated," the court said his actions are the type that are "often a precursor" to a child being abducted or molested.

Though Barnaby was acquitted of attempted kidnapping and child abduction charges stemming from the November 2002 incident, he was convicted of unlawful restraint of a minor -- which is a sex offense.

'Most stupid ruling'

Now, he will have to tell local police where he lives and won't be able to live near a park or school.

"This is the most stupid ruling the appellate court has rendered in years," said Barnaby's Chicago attorney, Frederick Cohn. "If you see a 15-year-old beating up your 8-year-old and you grab that kid's hand and are found guilty of unlawful restraint, do you now have to register as a sex offender?"

But Cook County state's attorney spokesman Tom Stanton said Barnaby should have to register "because of the proclivity of offenders who restrain children to also commit sex acts or other crimes against them."

In the criminal case against him, Cook County Judge Patrick Morse said that "it's more likely than not" Barnaby planned only "to chastise the girl" when he grabbed her, but "I can't read his mind."

"I don't really see the purpose of registration in this case. I really don't," Morse said. "But I feel that I am constrained by the statute." Recognizing the stigma that comes with being labeled as a sex offender, the appellate court said "it is [Barnaby's] actions which have caused him to be stigmatized, not the courts."

[/font]

2. google

google 1/2 ton status

That's some horse crap. Lesson learned. Next time, just beat the **** out of the kid. Then it's just assault on a minor instead of a sexual offense.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm scared, even my PASTOR won't hug or shake hands with any female. child or not.man this country is heading in an ugly direction.

4. google

google 1/2 ton status

You are supposed to be PC all the time, but everyone is offended by one thing or another. Pritty soon, all you can do to be PC is stand stiff and not say anything while your eyes are closed.... but then someone will get mad cause you ignored them or didn't say hi. It's all stupid. I think we should all just be really mean and rude to everyone until we are all immune to it. Then maby we can move on with being happy.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Don't swerve

6. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Friends friend. He is a normal christian father. His daughter broke up with boy friend so he came by and threw her stuff out in the front yard (not stopping). Mostly cds. So he went to the boys house and told him nice as possible(no more than pointing a finger) about how he should've drove up and gave it to him or her (daughter) and then left this throwing stuff out a window is not right. About the time he gets home the cops show up with something about terreoristic sp threats. What is the world coming too.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

SHOULD HAVE HIT THE KID. WOULD BE IN A LOT LESS MESS. sorry to say but the value of a human life these days is a lot less than it use to be. you can hold up a bank and go away for over 30-40 years but kill someone and be out in 5 or less. what the hell:confused:

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I DON'T

If I see some kids walking along and they walk out or run out in front of me, I come as close to them without hitting them as I know I can(I learn the size of my vehicles and can fit a 5' wide truck through a 5'3" gap). Scares the **** out of them and teaches them a lesson. I swerve, so no one can say I hit a kid on purpose. Once some kids were walking along, one kid pushed another off his bike, IN FRONT OF ME. I swerved for that, but I also jumped on it and kicked into passing gear(with my REALLY loud 95 Chevy). I whipped around the block and tried to hunt down the kid who pushed his "friend". He would have gotten a real good chastising, but he had the sense to book.

9. google

google 1/2 ton status

You child stalking michael jackson wanna be.......

(J/K) going with the idea of the thread

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Eh, if I would have grabbed his arm, it would have been broken.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i had a kid pull infront of me on a gocart and stop on the edge of the road with no sholder.

i locked it up and saw his with face as it disapered under my line of sight in the burb, got out and he was eye level bout 10 inchs away from my steel tube bumper.

tore a strip off him, said if i ever saw him on the road with that (reather cool) go kart i WOULD HIT him and take the kart for my own.

but ever since my accedent and my half swerve that totaled my k5, that would have been wrecked but fixable if i dident I DONT SWERVE.

a week ago i almost hit a few people that were walking out a resterant, right into the street, no crosswalk to lazy to wait of walk to a crosswalk, **** i think i hit the girls sandle she kicked off ass she jumped back.

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Just another reason for me to hate this stupid A$$ state. Once i transfer from here i will NEVER return.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That is f_cked up big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!