Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

He was reluctant to call the fire department, considering what was in the garage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, May 30, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fire leads police to hydroponics pot lab inside family home

BY THERESA BRADLEY

tbradley@MiamiHerald.com

Firefighters called to douse a blaze at a Redland residence Monday morning uncovered $400,000-worth of marijuana growing in a hydroponics lab in the garage, Miami-Dade police said.
    Narcotics detectives called to the scene impounded 53 mature marijuana plants at the one-story home, at 26851 SW 192nd Ave.
    ''It was wall-to-wall marijuana'' in the garage, which was outfitted with a floorboard irrigation system, lights and reflective panel, said Lt. Gene Tweedy, a Miami-Dade fire investigator looking into the case.
    Police said Roy Diaz, 31, lived in the home with his wife and two small children.
    Diaz was transported to Homestead Hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation. He had tried to battle the fire himself.
    He was released and charged with trafficking in marijuana, grand theft of electricity, and child endangerment, police and fire rescue officials said.
    The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but Diaz told investigators that his wife had left a few candles burning the night before, in the family room, next to the lab.
    Flames gutted that room and spread to the kitchen, waking Diaz, who finally called for help at 6:40 a.m., Tweedy said.
    ''He was reluctant to call the fire department, considering what was in the garage,'' Tweedy said.
    Six fire rescue units arrived as flames tore through the family room, destroying its contents beyond recognition, and making it harder for investigators to pinpoint the fire's cause, Tweedy said.
    The blaze did not appear to be related to the marijuana lab, though, he said.
    The 5- and 6-foot-tall marijuana plants, which carpeted the garage floor in individual buckets, were untouched by the flames.
    In March, firefighters called to battle flames above an Opa-Locka fish market uncovered more than $100,000-worth of marijuana growing in a hydroponics lab there.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

got to watch it these days. cops are grabing the other family members for chiled indangerment also. thay cant say thay didnt know that stuff was there or what was going on.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

he'll probably sue the fire department...

for emotional stress to his plants...

anyway.. its all for personal use..

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

What the heck is that charge? Using electricity for illegal uses? That's pretty creative, I've never heard of that one before.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's when they bypass the meter so that the electric company doesn't see the bill jump or think they are lighting a football field and report them to the DEA.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing the child endangerment charges are for him not calling the fire dept. while his family was still inside the house with it on fire.

7. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

They probably hit him up for child endangerment for the large scale grow (as they should). Growing like this has become common, along with the electricty stealing). SacBee.com (Sacramento Bee) just had an article on this. Many times people rent many houses and do not live in them. Organized crime has their hands in these types grows.

Most of the time the pot is also subpar. 53 commericially grow plants is not worth $400,000, at least here in the west. He was most likely selling wholesale and that is around 2 grand a pound.

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Up here, they nail the scumbag grow-op dudes with that charge EVERYTIME.

9. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

What exactly is a "marijuana lab" anyway? They make it sound so evil.....

10. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

reefer madness...
    havent you ever seen the 50s film?

turns you into crazed women raping zombies

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Trust me- the majority of grow-ops are very bad news. I don't have time to further explain myself right now, though. If nobody else has chimed in with a good answer by the time I get home from work, I'll give you the details.

12. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

I agree that SOME of the grow-ops are very bad things. I guess it all depends on what kind of grow-op. There is a huge difference in hobby grows and commercial grows. I have seen many (hundreds) of small time grows. We are talking 1 to 3 plants, grown in a bathroom/closet/home depot cabnit. Many times by or for really sick people. Other times, just regular people that do it for a hobby and free/cheap smoke. These are not bad people and many of you most likely know someone like this.

I have only seen one commericial grow. Dude had around 500 plants and was somewhat shaddy. He was definately in it for the $$$.