Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head choices

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger97116, Sep 17, 2004.

1. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

is $800 a good deal on a set of vortec heads that have been opened up a little and stiffer springs?the seller say's he has $1200 in reciets and they are redrilled to be used on new or old sbc.he only ran them 20 minutes.they were built for a blower motor and ended up being to much compresion.do you think that may be to little for a carb only set up?i don't know all the exact measurments sorry.my other choice is to keep my motor as is and use the money to put towards an efi set up.or rebuild my old set of camel humps and run them,are these that much better than stock sbc's? thanks for any help.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That is quite a bit for Vortecs. If they are wildly hogged out, they probably would work very good if your motor plans are mild....

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They won't work with older intakes.

I'd be leery of these for a truck. How much can you get SDPC2000.com "upgraded" Vortecs for?

Lots of problems with the guys story, whether true or not. If you are building a motor, how do you not start out with the right compression ratio?

Why would he drill it for the old intake pattern? The ports don't line up! Only reason I can see for re-drilling them is if you had an aftermarket intake you could portmatch to the Vortecs. It would take a lot of metal, there is a pretty decent port mismatch between the Vortecs and older intakes.

Vortecs are infinitely better than camel humps in many regards. Vortecs are a good head, (casting-wise) but a factory EFI swap later on is costly with them.

Not sure if it's consistent across piston designs or not, but 64CC heads with flat top 4 valve relief speed pro pistons is approx. 9.2:1. Shouldn't be a problem on 87 octane.

4. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not sure if it's consistent across piston designs or not, but 64CC heads with flat top 4 valve relief speed pro pistons is approx. 9.2:1. Shouldn't be a problem on 87 octane.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not always true. Cam duration is very important when choosing what volume heads will work best on a motor and for what octane level (dynmic compression ratio = means everything)

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That is true, however, it's hard to design an engine without basing it on a "static" compression ratio.

Combustion chamber design is one of the reasons the Vortecs shine...what causes problems on a camel hump head because of compression ratio isn't going to be the same with the fast burn chamber design.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Keep your Camel humps ! Those vortecs look like someone else's problem. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My choice would be Dart Heads but they're not cheap.

8. mudslinger97116

thanks guy's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i think i am going to freshen up my camel's and put the money somewhere else in the truck.the guy had these heads built for his 32 chev roadster and i also thought why he would dump so much money into them and end up with the wrong compression for a big ol'blower.maybe he's an idiot or someone took him?

9. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

I have a friend that took a pair of vortecs and did a port/ polish and matched them to the intake....lost 50 HP!!
    JUNK...this may be what the guy is tring to pass off onto you...

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

summit has alum sbc heads for 900 i think /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. mudslinger97116

yea he said there all ported and polished and i could run a real healthy cam. i don't know alot about motors but i do know i want reliabilty first then low end and let horse power fall where it does.

12. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I put Sportsman II 200cc heads on my roller 350 and they are AWESOME. 900, complete, new, with roller 1.47 roller springs. Buy new, if you were talking 300, I would say you might make em work, but for 800, buy new aftermarket heads for a little more.