Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head games

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Aug 29, 2005.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of building a 383 torque monster with vortec heads. In this process, I found that one of my cylinder heads has a big crack in the middle water passage stopping right before it goes between the two middle combustion chambers. I am in college so I dont have a whole lot of money so I was wondering if it would be worth it to get it fixed or should I get a new head? If I can fix it, can the local machine shop fix it or am i going to have to send it to someone who specializes in welding cast iron?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Dont quote me on this but I think once it is cracked your done. I have never heard being able to safely repair a cracked head.

Ira

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

once its cracked it is scrap metal.get a new head.they are pretty cheap.only a couple hundred bucks. problem is as it heats up it expands and cools and contracts.if you weld it to fix it it will not hold effectively as far as i know.