Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head gasget

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xlosed, Jul 17, 2002.

1. xlosed

xlosed Newbie

not new to this but forgot my old username and password when i moved...anyhow

i wanted to know if anyone can guide me in the right direction to change/replace a head gasget on a 72 4x4 blazer......anyone done this before, it is hard to not really......

right now the truck is sitting because of this i think...so any help is really really greatly appreciated...

thanks

2. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Shouldn't be too bad. Just off the top of my head...... Drain the H2O from the rad and engine block. Take out the distributor and pull the wires. I'd take out the plugs too so they don't get busted off during disassembly. Unbolt the exhaust manifolds and tie them back or remove them. Unhook the carb linkage and I'd just remove the intake manifold with the carb attached. Pull the valve covers, rockers and pushrods. Then unbolt the heads, remove them and the gaskets. Then you can inspect, ensure the gasket surfaces are clean and install the new gaskets. Put the stuff together in reverse order. The head bolts should be torqued in a circular sequence from the center to the ends in three stages (32, 52 and 70 lb/ft is what my manual says). The head bolts and theads should be cleaned and thread sealant must be used to seal the water in the block. Oh yeah....the only hitch to this is that you must make sure that the head and block mating surfaces are not warped. If there is warpage, the heads and/or block surface must be machined or the new gasket will not last.

3. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Skyblazer has it covered. I would add one detail... keep track of where the push rods and rockers were and put them back in the same place and in the same orientation.. You can make holes in a piece of cardboard and number them for the push rods. I use marked zip-locks for the other stuff.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

to inspect for warpage you can use a pane of glass.spray some pam cooking oil on the heads.then put the piece of glass flat against the head.it should show no missing spots on glass wherever the glass is touching.a engine builder i know taught me this quick trick.this will ensure when you put on gasket the heads will seal correctly.kinda backwoods trick but it works.