Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head gasket, or head itself???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Aug 26, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have a problem with my truck consuming coolant. It takes about a gallon every two weeks. If I start the truck cold and run it for about 30 seconds, shut it off and pop the radiator cap, there's pressure that needs to be released. That shouldn't happen unless it's hot. It starts to overheat, but it cools very quickly once I start moving or I hold the engine at higher revs. No problems overheating while at constant speed. Bubbles come to the top of the radiator while running, but there's no horrid white smoke out the pipes and there's no water in the oil. What the hell is going on????

2. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I had an early 80's Camaro that had a similar problem, ended up being the head gasket, did you check compression on all cylinders to compare them? Might not be your problem but I think it's a good place to start....I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in here pretty soon. good luck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif