Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head Gasket or Intake gasket?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anjieandjohn, Jul 19, 2005.

1. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Alright...I confess!! I am an idiot when it comes to a lot of things and tearing a motor apart is one of them. I think either my head gasket is leaking or my intake is leaking. I noticed the other day that when I parked it, there was coolant leaking from the back of the engine. I refilled it and didnt have a problem until yesteday when I noticed the same thing. It is dripping from the area of the transmission pan. Also, I was in traffic on my way home from work and the truck started running a little rough. As soon as I got going for a minute, is settled out and ran normally...I was thinking that the tranny isnt getting enough coolant and that is why it was running rough...I put it in neutral and it idled like it normally does. When I shifted back to drive, until I started moving it was a rough idle (like when you are running on 7 cylinders rough). I also have what appears to mbe an oil leak somewhere from the back of the engine side as well. I have replaced valve cover gaskets and no change. I know above is way general but I am sure things go hand in hand...

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Could be a freeze plug has rusted thru and is leaking coolant, have the system pressure tested to be certain.
    Pull the spark plugs, if 1 or 2 of them are extremely clean (steam-cleaned) then you may have a ruptered head gasket but once again, have it pressure tested first.
    The transmission does not use coolant per say, the hydraulic oil inside the transmission is circulated thru a liquid/liquid cooler mounted inside the radiator.
    The oil leak you speak of is another problem and could be caused by the oil pressure sending unit (top of manifold behind distributor), intake manifold
    lip-seal (below/behind distributor between intake manifold and block), rear main seal (back of engine between oil pan and block) or possibly something as minor as a leaking valve cover gasket.
    In my early days we used a flourescent dye in the oil and a flourescent light to locate hard to find oil leaks.
    Hope this helps.... :bow:

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh definititely get flashlight and maybe a mirror out and hnt around up in the backside end of the engine between the torque converter and engine for water trail down back of engine block, cuz yeah its probably freeze plug(most likely) however without being there to physically see there is no way to know for sure where its leaking from

for real

we can just guess from where we are seated(at keyboard)

im not sure what else to say or suggest, really, other than finding someone to help that is mechically inclined in a higher degree(no offense to you or anything like that) buy them a 12 pack or case or dinner or something else, or whatever, if need be :D

good luck

4. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Thanks...

Thanks for the suggestions.....I am going to go ahead and pull the carb and intake and replace the gasket this weekend. I figure it needs to be replaced. I have changed the plugs already and have found out that the 5 and 7 cylinders seem to have a lot of carbon build up as well as being a little wet??? The other plugs appear normal. I am figuring the valve seats are shot. When I start the truck in the morning, I get a nice bluish-white puff of smoke that dissapates after about 5 seconds. As far as a rusted through freeze plug, what do I need to do in order to fix that? I know they come in a rebuild kit generally but is that what I need to do is just replace it? Thanks again

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  5. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

you could probably get away with just changing the valve seals...that should stop the oil from running down the guides and smoking the mosquitos out when ya first crank it.

use brass freeze plugs to replace the ones that are leaking, this is going to be a PITA because it is very challenging/impossible to replace some/most of them with the engine in the truck, somebody makes a freeze-plug installation tool that will make it a little easier but psyche yourself and prepare for busted knuckles, fore-head abrasions, headaches and general discomfort during the operation :haha:

Use RTV sealant around the sides of each freeze-plug during the process to make sure they don't leak, you gotta hit em square or else they will kick ur butt up n down the driveway trying to get em in the hole.

Good luck A n J...hope this helps