Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head Gasket Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy102, May 25, 2005.

1. jimmy102

jimmy102 Registered Member

Ok guys, I was putting my heads on the 400 the other day, started torqueing them down and got them all torqued, then the last bolt broke. :mad: Had to take all the other bolts out to get the broken bolt out. My question is, will I have to get a new head gasket? Or can I use the one that was on there? Its brand new fel-pro.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If none of it stuck, I would reuse it, but spray it with some of that copper sealer stuff....

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

assuming he didn't spay it to begin with... all my head gasket seals get the copper treatment, fel-pro is nice.. but the copper just makes me feel better about the seal.

Are those a new set of bolts you broke one off of? If not I highly recommend new bolts (only $15 a set or so)... head bolts are only good used once or twice

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

ummmm....

Fel-Pro's "Perma-Torque" head gaskets are to be installed DRY--USE NO SEALER it says on the package! :shame: :whistle: --but many folks do anyway... :surepal: --this does not apply to steel shim head gaskets,or other brands... I'd buy another gasket,rather than chance it leaking,and having to do it all over again(and possibly breaking more bolts! :doah: )--Autozone sells Fel-Pro head bolts for about 40 bucks a set... :deal: .. :crazy: