Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head gasket question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Feb 17, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so i'm reassembling my 6.2 and i installed my cylinder heads last nite, but the felpro head gasket was different from how i expected it. it seemed to cover the 6 of the 7 holes which go to the water jacket except for a tiny pinhole at each point - and i found that very strange. Below I have a picture of the deck of the block to make this a little more clear - sorry it's not a straight-on photo. The long slot on the end of the deck (near my hand) is the only open hole in the gasket to allow coolant into the head. it was so long ago that i disassembled that engine that I don't remember what the other was like. in any case, i figured that it must be that coolant goes into the head through the slot and then travels through the head, then over the top of the engine through the intake manifold and out the slot of the other head. now that i'm writing this, it makes sense, i suppose because if there were 7 holes available to have coolant pumped through them, how would the coolant be able to go in one direction? so - can someone verify for me that this is an accurate assumption? thanks guys.

Engine Block Bottom Front View 2.jpg

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The pinholes are for coolant restriction. They slow the coolant flow after the block (since the head gets hotter) so it has time to absorb more heat before it runs out to the rad. Just double check the part # and slap em on if the # is good.