Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head gasket question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Oct 26, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of replacing my headgaskets and just the other day I was scraping off the old gasket and a few peices of it went into the cylinders. I used a shopvac and vacuumed out everything I could. however there is still a few very fine particles of old carbon buildup left in the cylinder. Will this all be burnt up when I start it up or do I really need to make the cylinder spotless before doing so? Also, why in the hell did GM engineers put the spark plug and the accelerator cable bracket right on the back of the head where it is nearly impossible to reach without yanking the head off first? couldnt they have just connected all this stuff to the firewall?

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

Lucky for me i guess the accelerator bracket was bolted to the intake /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As far as the carbon build up goes i would just blow it out with compressed air (or vac it out) the lose stuff, but don't go nuts cleaning the tops of the pistons. I had an intake valve issue earlier this week and noticed some carbon buildup on the pistons. So while i was getting it fixed i asked the owner of www.golensengineservice.com if this was cool, he said it's "normal".