Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head gasket re-use, torqued but never run, ok?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Aug 15, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I installed my heads today, and while I was lashing the valves, I noticed I was't getting any compression on No.1, after looking at it, No.1 exhaust valve (even with the rocker removed) was not seating all the way. After fiddling with it for a while I could still see daylight through there when I shined the light into the spark hole. So I removed the head, removed the valve, found some crap in there, not sure how it got there I've been super clean, cleaning everything as I go, but it was there none-the-less. Heads I bought new, and a shop installed the valves.
    Anyhow, is that head gasket good to use after it's been torqued once, but never ran? It's a victor-Reinz regular nitro-seal gasket.

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't take the chance since you already have it off put a new one on there. You don't want to blow a head gasket after all that work taking the top end off and back on.

Just my .02.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've done it before. I'm sure the "correct" answer is don't do it.

If it came off in perfect shape (no ripped sections) I'd reuse it.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    As far as I know (unless you have some special gasket)
    Once torqued, never can be used again. I wouldn't chance it.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Think this....

New head gasket now? Or new engine later?

New gasket

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm not trying to cheap out. I just thought I read in the past it's ok to use if it's not been run. I ask too because this is going to put me way behind, I won't be able to install the motor this weekend probably. I have to get the same type because the victor and the fel-pro brands have very different compressed thicknesses. I mail-ordered the master kit, the local parts store carries fel-pro, the store in thenext town, 20 miles away carries Victor-Reinz, but they would have to order.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

50/50 chance...

If it were MY back that was going to be bent over a day changing the gasket after it fails,I'd say buy a new one and put it in NOW,not later!..once a gasket is compressed,its "used",whether the engine was fired up or not!..

I'd buy 2 fel-pro's and put them in!..we had multiple failures with Victor head gaskets at my friends shop....I dont care much for that brand at all..McCord isn't much better..Mr.Gasket ones are crap on street driven vehicles in my opinion too--I think they are desigened to be changed after every race,not for street used cars.. :crazy:

But you might get away with using it over--I've done worse!--I used the OLD head gasket on more than one motor in an emergency(and I took off and replaced the head with a 1/2 Impact gun,no tourque wrench was available!--and the weird thing is,both motors ran great for a long time after,never blew a head gasket! :screwy: :screwy: :crazy: