Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head gasket!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rich'90, Jun 23, 2001.

1. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Think I blew a head gasket, can anyone tell me the sure signs of such a bummer.
    How about some pointers for the replacement if anyone has some tricks up their sleeve to make it go a little smoother.

Thanks

Rich

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Water coming out of the exaust is a sure sighn, or excessive steam.

"Jeep Thing,? Ya i ran over one!"

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Lots of signs. Alwasy adding coolant, oil in water/water in oil. Steam and that hot antifreeze smell in the exhaust is another. Overheating problems even when plenty of coolant and good thermostat.
    NAPA sells a kit for checking for exhaust in the coolant. Bleed down test is always good to do as well as a compression test. If it's a leak from combustion to coolant the Bleed down will pressurize the cylinder and you can watch for bubbles in the radiator.
    Now cracked head has many of the same symptoms so if you pull the heads and don't find an blow through on the gasket get the heads checked by a reputable shop. Most cracked heads happen after a bad overheat so if you just had a overheat problem it is probably a good idea to get them checked.
    Cast iron heads you can usualy do the head gasket without machine work. Take a straigt edge and check for warp with a feeler gage. Under 5thousands it should sea fine and not need machine work. Look for grooves worn in the head and block also. New valve guide seals and Hand lapping the valves should also be done. Soaking the valves in Carb cleaner will get that carbon off but be sure they go back in the same place they came out. EGR port is also prone to clogging so inspect that when you got the intake off.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

When I blew a head gasket earlier this year I was freaked out about tackleing the job myself as I had never done anything like it before. What I was told to do was be thorough and pay attention to detail. What I mean by this is run a tap and die through all your bolts and bolt holes. Change any parts that look fatigued or worn. ie fan belts, vacuum hoses, radiator hoses, wire looms, wires, sensors and any other little detail. It's the little details that make a job go smoother. Also pay attention to were the bolts go. They do have their particular places. And torque them to the correct specs. And while your in there might as well upgrade somethings[​IMG]. Easier to do it now than tear things apart again later. I think I've babbled enough. Good luck.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Why do you think a head gasket is blown? Any special reason?

Smitty

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I had a problem in my Camaro a couple years ago that I was sure was the head gasket. I tore it all apart, both sides, and found perfect head gaskets. What WAS messed up were some intake manifold gaskets, that must've let coolant down into the crankcase via the top of the V. Sucked to find out that way... Do a compression test. Changing a manifold gasket is much easier than the head gaskets.

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I just had the same thing happen in my 350. It looked like someone might have reused the intake gaskets and just added some RTV. I needed to take it out anyway to check out a tap in the bottom end. Just got the other engine in and running today.

Smitty