Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head Gasket

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Benzoate, Jun 14, 2000.

1. Benzoate

Benzoate Registered Member

Can you drive short distances on a blown head gasket with out causing irresversable damage?

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, it depends...usually things get REAL HOT, REAL QUICK, which will crack a head or seize the motor. That, and if water is getting into the oil, it will wipe out the bearings making your engine a total loss. I blew a lower rad hose on our '90 Sub going up Baker grade last summer...had all my little ones inside...100 degrees outside (at midnight!!), and about a mile from the offramp. I pushed it to get it off the road (instead of on the side) and it blew the head gasket. All the rest of the motor looks great, however, as I just tore it down and the lower end looks fine. Well, it was time...that engine had 250,000 miles on it!!! Here comes the roller cammed 350!!!

ken

3. Benzoate

Benzoate Registered Member

great, so is there anyway to determine a blown gasket vrs cracked head other than a compression test of the cylinders?
    I'm trying not to have to bring it to a mechanic and i've got people coming out to look at it. And of course I"ve disclosed the problem.