Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head Gasket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Jan 24, 2004.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

Well, life is grand. I started up my blazer today, and coolent came out the driver side exhaust. I took out the spark plugs one by one to see if I could get some to come out, and it turns out to be #3 cylinder. This is a new GM 350 crate engine with a 3/50,000 mile waranty. The problem is I don't know if they will cover the waranty due to me replacing the spedometer becasue the old one was missing the needel. It kept mileage just fine, just could tell how speed you were going. Just in case I would like to get some advise to what it may cost to replace it. If you guys have any ideas please let me know.

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hope it is a blown head gasket and not a cracked cylinder head. Talk to G.m and see what they say. If it is a gasket it will not be much at all cost wise.Any coolant in the oil?

3. 84mudmachine

Doesn't seem to be in the oil. I replace the intake gasket this summer, I don't think that is it.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well i wouldnt run the engne again until after this is fixed, you will risk getting ehjnough water in the cylinder to hydraulic lock the piston on compression stroke and can damage rod bearing and you wont know it until some time after the gasket or head is replaced.

the gm 350 crate engines are cast in mexico and i feel are not quality, my stepdad has one of these he bought for the 82 k10 and they beat the balancer onto the crank snout with a BFH and he has not been changing the oil it is very dark and low about a quart and im just waiting for it to blow, he keeps bragging on how nice of an engine it is, but i cant see it lasting too much longer before something goes,

good luck

5. 84mudmachine

Talked to GM, they will cover parts, not labor. I'm going to have a small shop look at it, they are cheeper than dealerships. The most expensive part is the labor, it doesn't make sense to buy one with a waranty if you plan on putting it in yourself.

6. 84mudmachine

I heard back from the shop, I have a cracked head. They said these are cast in Mexico and are a little thinner. They are going to put on a rebuilf thicker head for me. I'll try to get something out of GM, but I don't feel like fighting with them.

7. 84mudmachine

Well two days later and $925 I have my Blazer back. They put on a new head for me and come to find out I had a very bad ujoint with a crack cap and it was about ready to brake off. I was getting a vibration between 35-40 mph, but I though it was tire alignment.I guess this isn't too bad since the head was $270, labor $440.

8. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

how can you tell if its a bad gasket or a bad block?

9. 84mudmachine

They will do a pressure test and if they see a problem, then they remove the head and check the gasket and head. They will send the head to a shop that can test it, if the gasket looks ok. A cracked block is the least likley thing to happen, gaskets and heads will go before the block. If I had time and a warm place to work on the head, I would have done it myself and save some $$. I figure I payed a lot less by going to an independant shop than having GM fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif