Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head gaskets on a 2.8? are they a pain?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Apr 22, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I have to do a head gasket on a budys s-10 Do they suck to do any more than say a 350? or are they easyer? any tips on what to plan ahead for?

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

They aren't too bad.

If I remember correctly there are a couple 'hidden' bolts in the lifter valley. But don't quote me on that.

You know what the best fix for blown head gaskets on a 2.8 is... Install a 4.3... I have done it, TWICE.

Good Luck

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

really? ive heard that it is an enormous pain in the @$$ to do that swap. Got a place where i can get more info?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The only way you went from a 60* V/6 to a 90* V/6 is by changing tranny's also.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

a 3.4 V6 out of a camaro is a straight swap in place of a 2.8 if i remember correctly. No transmission swap needed.

6. Bushido

Bushido Registered Member

Just a little heads up(pun intended):rolleyes: .The intake gaskets on the 2.8s leak making the oil and water mix making it look like a blown head gasket.Might want to check that,could save you some time if that's the case.---If it is a blown head gasket, replacement pretty straight forward.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

X2 !
    Make damn sure what is wrong first or you might end up doing a lot of extra work that was not needed.
    If your buddy's S-10 is a 4x4 than it will make getting at the exhaust ( driver's side ) flanges more difficult but other than that it is just the standard stuff as far as motor work goes.
    HTH , Tom

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

ok cool deal. Thanks for the tips and the heads up about the intake gaskets leaking I gotta head out there today yippie!

9. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

4.3 have their fair share of problems too

i kow alot of 2.8L that run excellent no issues, and i own one such 2.8 right now that i drive daily, 98k miles and counting

good luck

10. bigbluesuburban

That is absolutely correct.

We stuck with the same tranny model... 700R4... and the tranny mounts were the same. This was on a 2wd version so T-case was not an issue. The driveline bolted up perfectly and the truck was better for it.

Thanks for the clarification

11. bigbluesuburban

The first swap I did WAY BACK WHEN was a hot rod swap. I made many many mistakes and it was bit of a PIA. I took parts from different trucks and changed to a carb over FI and blah blah blah blah. In the end it was a cool little truck. But I do not think that I would do it that way again.

The second one that I did was a completly different animal. This guy wanted to keep it a daily driver. We picked up a smashed truck from an auction. It was a low mileage 4.3 in a total loss truck. But we got everything. Wiring harness, accessories, computer, etc etc etc. We pealed the truck away from the 4.3, removed the 2.8 setup, and then took our time to install the 4.3. It was 3 weekends of solid work but the power and dependability was increased exponentially on the little S-Truck.

For those of you with 'Miracle 2.8's' that have no problems and 200K on them. Good for you. But I have had a couple of 2.8 S-Trucks & Blazers and all were pigs.

For me the 4.3 is the only way to go.

EDIT: In an little S-Truck or Toyota... not in my Sub... LOL

12. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

the 2.8 i had years ago couldn't even get out of it's own way.

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

The S10 i drove in highschool was a 2.8, 5 speed 2wd. not real speedy off the line but you could whinde her up pretty tight. all i ever broke on the truck was a clutch and about 6 or 8 back tires...funny thing though I never hand to replace the front tires...

14. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i had a 83 s10 153,000 miles and it had the 'no balls' 2.8 and got 19 mpg's and its nickname was the exxon Valdez. I hated it, leaked oil so bad i got pulled over for it a couple of times. Now i have a 80 yota and it has 2x the mileage and way more power and its a 2.2l that gets 23mpg's and leaks very little oil. The only thing i did to that 2.8L was put 30k on it in 6 months, changed the fuel pump, and rebuilt the carb. Pretty reliable but 4 cylinders smoked it bad.

15. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

We had an '88 Celebrity with the 2.8 and it had well over 220,000 miles on it. Still ticking, the trans was sheeit thou.

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Almost, but not quite. I did this swap in my Cherokee. Had top change the front cover and oil pan, to clear the crossmember. Also, 3.4 has no provision for a mech fuel pump, so I had to install an electric pump. The biggest difference is balance. One is internal balance, like a 350, and the other is external balance, like a 400. Cannot interchange flexplates/flywheels, unless you like vibration. The 3.4 in my Cherokee gets better mileage than the 2.8 ever did, and it is a lot quicker, also.

17. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

XXXX3 .
    i know mine had the same problem but the motor was soo worn out , i just swapped over a 3.4 crate motor. pretty easy swap, only issues was a little fuel starvation in the mid range.

18. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I did the 3.4 swap in my wifes cherokee about 3 years ago, used the GM performance parts 3.4 crate engine. I run a edelbrock intake, a holley 390 cfm carb, a msd 6a ign. box and I put a trans go shift kit in it. The swap is basic but I did have to custom balance the flex plate. It's a good swap.