Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head Gaskets - Re- use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by unsane, Nov 19, 2002.

1. unsane

unsane Guest

Well my crankshaft is toast. Just ordered a new Scat Crankshaft from Northern Autoparts today. My Question however is this: Can I pull the heads(which I already installed before I trashed the crank) to install the new crank and re-use the head gaskets? The engine has not been ran at all. Some people have said its ok others have said no way! I am just running low on cash now with this new crank, and dont want to buy new head gaskets if they are not needed. Any help would be appreciated as always. Thanks -Eric Oh yeah ive got some .010 main and rod bearings slightly used(installed but never run) someone on this board can have em.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

dude its not worth the risk just get new ones they are not that much $$$

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

HEY, another Indiana guy! I'm in Frankfort, just south-east of you in Lafayette.
    I'd just buy new they cant be that much, once you tighten them down then release pressure by taking them off I would say they they may not reseal correctly? I dont know, I've popped the heads off a couple vehicles but I used new gaskets going back together. If you need a hand, drop me a line.

4. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Well if its a low compression mild motor with iron heads you should be ok. I mean.....whats the worse that can happen if you pop a headgasket??? Best case you start blowing compression into the cooling system and you just put new gaskets on, worse case you start dumping water into the cylinder and hydrolock your motor bending rods wasting a crank and windowing your block /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Weight your risks and make your own decision......but with a low perf app you should be ok.

Edit: Look at my sig /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif.....I have drove my truck for about 200 miles with a poped gasket /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but its a 305 that I could care less about and it was either drive it home and risk puking the motor and calling a tow or calling a tow right off the bat. Guess which way my cheap ass went /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I would buy new ones, it would be a real PITA to get it all put back together with the used head gakets only to find out you should have got new ones.

6. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

Once the gasket has been compressed, its used. Change it, its cheaper.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, here is your answer from an automotive machinist. It depends on what type head gasket you have. If it is not the steel shim type but rather a fel-pro style gasket then you could reuse them as long as they did not tear anywhere when they came off. You also should torque them 5 lbs. higher than you previously torqued them the first time so that they actually crush a taste bit more to make them seal properly. Now my recommendation is why take the chance? It is easier to spend a few more dollars now than to have to tear it apart later which will ultimately cost you more money and time than doing it now.

8. unsane

unsane Guest

ANyone wanna buy some head gaskets?

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Don't reuse them.
    -- Mike