Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head gaskets?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by doubleaught, Nov 27, 2001.

1. doubleaught

doubleaught Registered Member

I just bought a Banks turbo setup for my 6.2. My engine has around 200K miles on it, uses little oil and runs real strong. The salesman at Banks told me I should replace my head gaskets because, "The extra cylinder pressure created by the boost will blow out your old ones." So I'm thinking I'll just buy a set and keep them on hand in case he turns out to be right. I personally like Fel-Pro gaskets (it's all I use), are they the best for this engine? Should I go ahead and change them when I do the turbo or wait and see if they go bad?

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine.</font color=red>

1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel, 700-r4, D44 front, 14-bolt FF rear, 37x12.5x16.5 SSRs

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine before installing the turbo. If your not too concerned about blowing a head gasket at an inconvient time you could just wait, but with 200k on the original head gaskets it probly won't take long. When you do replace them I would use head gaskets for a 6.5L factory turbo diesel. They'll fit just like gaskets for a 6.2 but they're reinforced to handle a turbo.
    Good luck

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I did mine about a year ago, if it aint broke dont fix it. But then again dont have a turbo

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

4. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Hey! Can you keep notes on your turbo install? I've also got a 6.2L that is in dire need of more air (crazy altitude), and this might be a summer project for me.

Technical writeup? I know I'd really appreciate it!

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

5. doubleaught

doubleaught Registered Member

I plan on doing a web page about the install, but it won't be any time soon. There are a couple of other things I need to fix before I do the turbo. Like the frame crack behind my steering box...

I guess I'll just do it right the first time and do the head gaskets. It will be easier to do it when I have part of the engine taken apart anyway, than to wait until a week (or whatever) after I put it all together and take it all back apart.

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine.</font color=red>

1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel, 700R4, D44 front, 14-bolt FF rear, 37x12.5x16.5 SSRs