Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head light config.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tkettwig, Oct 31, 2001.

1. tkettwig

tkettwig Registered Member

I have a question that may be pretty stupid to most, but here goes, I recently bought a k5 blazer from a friend of mine, the title says that it is a 1979, but it has rectangular head lights, my question is did any '79 blazers come with rectangular head lights? Its a cheyanne super, all '79's I have seen have round head lights. If anyone can clear this up for me I would appreciate it thank you. terry

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe 80 1/2 was the first year to offer "square" headlights. The beginning of 80 had the round headlights and same fenders from 73-79 (like my 80). The plastic grill insert and some of the chrome trim changed a little throughout the 73-80 years, but the parking and blinker lights stayed the same. In 80 1/2 they used the same hood, fenders, but changed the headlight design and trim to house square headlights. In 81 they started using a completely redesigned front end (different inner and outer fenders, new style hood, core support, cowl, etc. Those pieces stayed the same on pickups up to 87 (with slight headlight config changes and grill insert changes and 81 and 82 having parking lights/blinkers mounted in the bumper). On blazers that style was used up to 91 (same with the crew cab pickups). If the hood is a different style than the other 79's you have seen, I would say somebody swapped front clips (there is an article on this sight that talkes about it). If it has the same style hood, then they may have started the square headlight deal in 79 (but I doubt it, it was probably somebody swapping parts, but who knows). Hope this helps.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot</a>

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm with you, I an pretty sure that the single rectangular headlights didn't start until '80. Which was the only year for that front end.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Your truck could very well be a '79. Someone could have updated the front clip because of it being in an accident or anyother reason. Just an Idea.
    Ben 87 jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>