Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head light prob UPDATE...............

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Sep 19, 2005.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

well i connected the dark blue wire to the cut dark blue wire :rolleyes: (my friend cut it looking for a hot 4 years ago).now all the lights work BUT if i just turn on the running lights its good and if i pull the headlights on the temp guage goes all the way hot and the gas goes to empty.AND if i turn on the right turn signal those same guages move in sinc with the flasher until buried. :eek1: so i messed around tonight and if i turn the dimmer all the way to the left everything is fine,if i turn it to the right the guages bury. so i pull the bright thingy back at the turn signal everything is great???BUT my right rear brake light goes out and the back up light comes on??!!!???WTF???? :laugh:

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It means ya gotta sell your truck really cheap and buy a rice-burner. :eek1:

I'll make the first sealed bid by E-mail. :p:

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Sounds like ya gotta short :shocked: :D

4. boggerless

for you DON..............$1.00 :D

5. boggerless

i know ,but its been a biatch to find. :mad: i have every wire pulled out.the headlights being causes it.and i have traced everywire going to them.??? :(

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A real SWAG...

SWAG== Scientific wild ass guess!...maybe the printed curcuit thingy on the back of the dash is pinched or shorted--if the hi beam indicator light curcuit was shorted,its possible the gauges could get power from it.(that huge "Plug" powers ALL the idiot lights and gauges--also completes the charging curcuit for the altenator if it has a light instead of a voltmeter..) It could be bad grounds too,they are usually responsible for wierdness in the electrical system..one truck I had would make the wipers do one sweep every time you stepped on the brakes,and the front marker lights would go out!..it only did it once in a while for a long time..then one day it started doing it constantly!

I only found out it had a broken black ground wire when I was installing a stereo and an amp--I looked for a good place to ground it,and saw a factory terminal thing bolted to the firewall near the E-brake pedal--and noticed a "ring" conector with a hunk of copper wire hanging there--looks like someone stepped on it when they put the E brake on :doah: --fixed it,and no more weirdness.. :crazy:

7. boggerless

DARKSHADOW said the same thing awhile ago,but i looked for the easy wires. :laugh: i bet you guys are right.i;ll check tommorow. thanks brother man. :D

8. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

Check for a bad ground under the dash, I was working on the dash of my blazer one day and when I was done my power windows quit working, I started looking around under the dash and found a factory ground terminal were all the grounds conect to, its above the emergency brake, it was coroded (sp) so I pulled it off and cleaned it, put it back on and all was good again.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I had a cracked printed circuit panel in my 77 and lost some functions. When I was fixing something else.. my cousins husband was nice enough to offer to fix it for me. Once done, it was like a bad movie.. this switch worked that.. that worked this.. turn on the blinker and my windshield wipers sprayed.. :doah:

Needless to say my dad and I had to redo it. Maybe you have a short or a problem there.

10. boggerless

i pulled the guages out and the 3 wires going just above the e brake looked fine, but i didn't think to check for corosion. :doah: now i have to pull ALL two of those screws out again. :laugh: tommorow though, man this makes me mad.