Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head Light Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

My truck has 4 headlights the 2 for low beam and then when you turn on the brights the 2 low beam stay on and the 2 high beams are suppose to come on too. Well the low beams are working fine the two top ones come on, but when you turn on the brights on the right side the top one goes out and the bottom one comes on and on the left side the top one stays on and the bottom one does nothing. I have checked all the grounds and where it connects to the cab. All the marker lights and tail lights are working correctly. Any ideas??

Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i see you are in peoria, i wil be there once or twice tommorrow scrapping metal at behr and the other place there,

if are no cut wires anywhere then id have to say to try another dimmer switch

good luck

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it also could be a bad connection between the harness and the bulbs, a bad ground in the front headlight harness (there are several grounds), or your high beam switch

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

clean all the connections and see what happens...

A headlight switch is only 20 bucks at napa...

-Aaron

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it was the dimmer then none of them would work when you hit the high beam. You sure it's just not burned out bulbs on the high beams? Meter it or swap bulbs to the other side and retry. If your problem moves then it's bad bulbs.

Also check the grounds though I think they are ok. Bot bulbs on each side ground gound to a single point.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The two lights that don't come on when in hi-beam mode have burned out filaments. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The upper lights have 2 elements, 1 for the low beam circuit and another for the high beam circuit. The lower lights only have a single filament, for hi-beam only. The high beam filament is burned out in the top right light and the lower left light is burned out. Replace those lamps and you'll have some serious high beams once again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif