Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head light switch on an '88 steering column

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, May 6, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Time to play what did i srew up/burn up again... My ignition tumbler was busted and i wasn't getting power so i replaced the tumbler but in the middle of taking the old tumbler out a switch fell out in the process. It has 2 peices of metal on it(HI beams and low beams?) and has a white plastic "holder" about 1x0.5 inch. I tried to put it back in but it doesn't snap into place or stay where its supposed to. So i put my steering column back together and put my steering wheel back on. I still had no power to my truck so i tried replacing a battery cable, checked all the fuses, ground wires and found that i had a ground wire hooked up to my starter :blush: :screwy: :doah: :smirk: :rotfl: .

I got the ground wire bolted to the frame and had all power except for my headlights, which makes me think that was my headlight switch... Is there a switch that would kill my headlights in the steering column if i took it out?

How is it held down?

I've checked all my headlight wires except the ones going to the actual switch on the dash but I always had headlights until i pulled out that switch.

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The only headlight-related switch is actually connected to a long rod that goes to the base of the steering column in the dash where a switch is (my turn signal lever was broken and i had to actuate my highbeams with this metal rod). Other than that, there is really nothing headlamp-related. There is the whole turn-signal switch assembly inside the column. Maybe you could photograph this part that fell out? :)

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

thats a good idea.... but i don't have a digital camera...

I'll get on it.

should have em in a couple days.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

There's so many small pieces inside the steering column it's kind of hard to get a mental picture just from a description... but before you did this, your headlights did work correctly?

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

yup.... only problem is i had no power for a long time and had a pretty good spark show when i tried to hook up my battery cables so i may have fried somethin.

before that they worked just fine.

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Check for voltage off your battery terminaly (+) end to ground, next open up the ashtray... fish around for a wire terminal behind there (there will be one that has one in, and two out), disconnect it and check that to ground... it should be a constantly hot wire, if not... you have an open somewhere in your wiring harness :( (or a blown 3A fuse :P )