Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head lights not working

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jeff l, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

I was given a 86 jimmy that sat for 8 years. I am almost done the rebuild now and I am stuck on getting the lights to work.

I think from the fire wall down is ok, I also changed the switch. I cannot find a fuse.

Any help, thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not fused...

The headlights have a curcuit breaker made into the headlight switch, instead of a fuse..so they will blink on and off if a short occoured,and wouldn't leave you "in the dark" literrally,if something went wrong with the wiring!..

I assume you tried testing the bulbs,to make sure they still work!..often the plugs corrode where they snap onto the prongs in the plug..I have to get out and wiggle the wires on my trucks once in a while to get one headlight to come on,because my trucks rarely get driven at night much..things turn green here overnight in our acid rain and salt laden climate..:doah:

Its probably the dimmer switch though,if its the floor mounted version..just about every GM truck I bought that sat any length of time had its dimmer switch and plug,and its wiring going to it all corroded to death..you can buy new plugs and a switch at most parts stores..

If you have the colum mounted dimmer switch,I haven't fooled with that style much..someone else will have to help you there!..:crazy:

3. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

I am getting nothing to the head lights only the turning lights and I did change the dimmer switch but it is the colum mounted dimmer switch......Thanks

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

few more things..

Well,since power is going to the parking lights,the headlight switch is PROBABLY ok...but it might have failed in the headlight curcuit only,if the breaker in it fried..but headlight switches dont usually croak very often,if they didn't have 20 K-C Daylighters added to the stock wiring,that is!..but it wont hurt to try another "good used" one you know works,just in case...

There is a small ground wire at the negative battery terminal that grounds at the radiator support or fender--if its cut or missing,the headlights wont work--along with many other things!...

Another place where trouble occours here is where the 2 halves of the fuse box bolt together..many times one of the "pins" that connect both sides together get corroded to death..I've had to "bridge" wires there before!..:crazy:

5. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

Checked again there is no fuse
    I have both grounds grounded to the r-support
    good batt
    new lights/new female light sockets
    new switch
    nothing looks burned
    cleaned out wire harness where it meets fuse board
    took apart fuse board from inside looks ok

One of the problems is to test the inside of the fuse box I have to disconnect the outer harness which takes away power.
    I don't know if thats going to tell me anything but I dont know what to do, it doesnt make any sense

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I had a fuseable link burn up near the starter that cuased this problem on my pickup

7. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

I will check that out ....thanks

8. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

I see a couple of fuseable links. Was your only problem headlights? b/c starter works fine on mine

9. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Yep problem was only with the headlights. One of those fuseable links feeds the headlight switch. Get a meter and read out voltage on both sides of the link, I bet you find one side after the link open.

10. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

thanks