Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scottsdale, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Scottsdale

Scottsdale Registered Member

I'm going to change my headlights to brighter ones somehow. I read an article on a conversion kit made by Hella that uses the small halogen bulbs. I also saw some super white bulbs in JC Whitney. I want the brightest of the two. There is also one in JC Whitney that turns black when it is off. What do you think?

Bowties, hate wearin' em, love driven' em!

2. mudpuppy89k5

mudpuppy89k5 Registered Member

You might want to contact Dan at Stern Automotive Lighting (http://lighting.mbz.org/). He sells replacement headlamps and add-ons, including halogen and quartz iodine bulbs. There is a lot of great info on his web site. I had a set of quartz-iodine headlamps in an old Z-28 years ago and loved them. Unfortunately, as far as I know, no one makes these (quartz-iodine) to replace the quad headlights on my '89. I've corresponded with Dan by e-mail and he has been very helpful and responsive. Hope this helps.

John Perry
    http://www.mudpuppy.coloradok5.com/

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Responded to you on off-road.com too.........I went with the H4 headlight conversion that is a very simple, plug in change, the headlights fit exactly as the originals did. You then choose what bulbs you want, think mine are 80 watt low beam/140 watt high beam. Relatively inexpensive if I remember correctly..........did mine 2 years ago is why I don't remember pricing. Got them from JC Whitney, no complaints here..........and, oh, yeah, they are BRIGHT.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. Nike

Nike Registered Member

The Hella's are a bit pricy, but very good. I went with the J.C. Whitney conversion and they were $25.00 ea. for the 2 lights. They use an H-4 halogen bulb that is available in several power ranges. Mine are 130 watt hi beam and 80 or 90 watt low beam which I don't believe are street legal but very bright. Street legal versions are available - look at you J.C Whitney catalog. Thanks Nike in Mo.

Blue

5. fredd

fredd 1/2 ton status

Matthew,

You have several possibilities.
    As John Perry mentioned, you can have the Cibie lights from Dan Stern.
    You can have the Hella lights form Susquehanna Motorsport at http://catalog.com/susq/hella/headlamp.htm
    You can go with JC Whitney, or get brighter US DOT lights.

In order of price, Cibie are the most expensive, but the very best.
    The light pattern of the Cibie's has a sharper cut as the Hella's, giving even a bit better visibility and less glare.
    Keep the low beam H4 55/100W and get the high beam H1 100W.
    If you go with the standard Cibie's at 55/65W, I would rate the improvement over US DOT lights 500%.
    The Hella's are a little cheaper as the Cibies, and also highly recommended.
    If you go with the standard Hella's at 55/65W, I would rate the improvement over US DOT lights 450%.
    As for JC Whitney lights, I have no experience, but would advice to buy from the source for parts and service, Dan Stern for Cibie, and Susquehanna Mototsport for Hella.
    And for brighter US DOT lights, you only blind more people and create more glare for yourself.
    Being Belgian myself, but since 1990 in the US, I always wondered why someone would drive his car/truck with US DOT lights when there are good Euro lights available.
    Driving with US DOT lights is like driving blind and blinding the other drivers.

One more very important part to improve your lights, get rid of the GM wiring and install extra relais with thicker wires. That by itself will give a huge difference over the standard GM system.

fredd

4x4 Armor for your K5
    http://coloradok5.com/vendors/sec.html

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

say, fredd.
    when you suggest replacing the wires and adding relays, how far back do we re-wire? and where do i add relays?

i saw something in summit that looked interesting. it was a system that used both high and low beams when you switch to high beams.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

7. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

Hey delta9blazer..A buddy of mine made me a BOSCH relay and we hooked it up so all 4 of my lights come on in my 90 Blazer..WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! JCW has them also.

8. fredd

fredd 1/2 ton status

For delta9blazer;

Go to the webpages mentioned in the messages above, Dan Stern and Susquehanna Motorsport.
    They have both a complete step by step manual how to do it and what parts to use.
    Basically, you want to have your wire between the battery and lights as short and as strong as possible. This to avoid all powerloss.
    The wire coming from the dashboard light switch should only power a relais, never the lights directly.

fredd

4x4 Armor for your K5
    http://coloradok5.com/vendors/sec.html