Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Feb 10, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

just started working at Oreillys and was talking to a guy last night about the motor I want to build and got on the discussion of bigger heads for more power. he said he knew a guy that had 3 sets of 300 horse heads. I didnt ask cause I didnt want to look retarded but can someone explain to me what 300 horse heads are? are they the old double hump style heads? thanks

2. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

They are the old double humps etc. Stay away unless you are building a nostagaia motor. Vortec heads will make more power.

3. big dan

well the thing is the guy that is selling them builds race cars. hes already had them ported and accessory bolt holes drilled and tapped. If I get them they will be really cheap, like say $100 for a pair and at the most they will need valve springs and seals.

I know vortecs are better but around here they will cost over $200 a set in the salvage yard and will need the same kind of work and I cant afford a new set.

Im also not looking to build a power monster so for me it would be a good deal on some heads a little better then the stock ones I have now which is prolly what will stay on the motor if I dont get some others real cheap.

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

u need to be careful & plan on what u want your motor to do. if the heads are heavily ported & have large vavles(more than likely do if a drag racer had them). they will kill your bottom end torque unless u are building a large cubic inch small blk.

do u want your engine to be in its power ban at off idle to 5000rpm or do u want it to make its power between 2500-6000? the lower rpm numbers are typically better for truck/off road use.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Another point against; The 300 horse heads were built for leaded gas, so unless they have hardened seats installed, they will not live long on unleaded.:eek1:

6. big dan

yes they already have the hardened valve seats and Im looking to build power from about 1500 up to 6500-7000. its not really an offroad truck, may see a few mudholes from time to time but mostly its a street truck that Id like to have decent power.

I keep my other truck for the hardcore stuff, this one Id like to keep kinda nice for cruising around and taking the ladies out and like I said Im not really looking to build a power monster.

7. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

I agree my head tech said you can throw up to $600 bucks at a set of old heads rebuilding them or you can pay $400 for a set of vortex heads that flow much better and are brand new.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Newer usually means better flow when it comes to cylinder heads.

I was expecting completely different when I looked at the title of this thread.