Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Head Removal ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Sep 27, 2003.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

It has been a long time since I have torn down an engine, and I have a couple of questions about the removal of the heads.
    On a small block 350, do I need to replace the head bolts after I pull them? I remember reading a long time ago about some engines requiring the bolts to be replaced each time the heads are removed, due to the amount of torque on them.

Is any machining of the head surfaces recommended after pulling them, if nothing is done to them?

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

you dont have to replace the head bolts,and as long as the heads arent warped(check them if you blew a head gasket),no machining is required.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, first you grab your ears and then... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

4. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well, first you grab your ears and then

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ya know, I have done that before...
    Oh, wait. I misread that. I thought you said "First you grab her ears..." Next step would be "Place your beer on the flat spot on top of her head..."

3car: Thanks for the info. I guess it's off the the auto parts store for new gaskets and such...