Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head scratcher

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

this one's got me stumped. yesterday i was messing around on my truck, putting a new muffler and plug wires on. i've got my Tcase shimmed down so i raised it up to gain more clearance for the plug wires. the weird thing is, when i went to test drive it around the block, the shifter wouldnt go past D.
    it was getting dark so i just parked it.

this morning i look under the truck and see that the shifter linkage now hits the header/y-pipe. the headers have been on there for over a year without interference, and i only unbolted the exhaust after the cat.

the other strange thing is the exhaust clearance. with the Tcase dropped i had to bend the inner lip of the frame where the y-pipe connects to the cat for clearance. now there is almost a 1" space between them. i cant figure out how this happened. :dunno: any ideas?

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since you where working in the the trans and T-case area maybe you could check your transmission mount to see if it is loose or broken. This could allow the trans and engine to shift over to one side.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i checked all the mounts, everything looks fine. they are all less than a year old and polyurethane too.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Was the exhuast system installed when the T-case was in its lowered position?

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ya, i just figured it out. i tacked on a new mount when it was raised up, i figured there was enough slop for when it was lowered back down.... aparently not. :doah: