Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head torquing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevysrule, Sep 5, 2002.

1. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

can anyone tell me the torqing sequence for cylinder heads on SBC's. I'm a first time engine builder gettin redy to put a 383 in my truck. thanks for the help

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'll leave the torque sequence diagram to someone with a scanner (because it would be nearly impossible to describe with words and still have it make sense). What I can tell you is that the torque figure is 65ft lbs on SBC heads.

I suggest you go out and buy yourself a manual for your truck. I have both Haynes and Chilton. Chilton is the best, but Haynes is only about $15 and still very helpful. I know Haynes has the sequences, and I believe Chilton does too (I don't have that book with me at college so I'm not positive).

3. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

If you haven't done so already, get one of those "How to Build a Chevy Motor"-type books. All of 'em have good info (diagrams, torque specs). A picture for the head sequence is alot easier to go by than a description. It's recommended to start at 25 ft. lbs. and go at 20 ft. lb. increments until you hit 65.

4. FastBanshee

FastBanshee Registered Member

5. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

thanks again for all the help.